Can I have Cream of Wheat

epre361706
on 1/18/15 12:39 am
RNY on 01/09/15

HI, I am on Full liquids sergury on 1/9/15. Can I have cream of wheat real thin or a soft egg? Thanks 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/18/15 12:43 am
RNY on 12/31/13

cream of wheat has no nutritional value and is great for weight gain.

eggs are not full liquids.  They'd fall under "soft foods"

A full liquid diet is made up only of fluids and foods that are normally liquid and foods that turn to liquid when they are at room temperature.   It also includes strained creamy soups, tea, juice, Jell-O, protein shakes, SF pudding, and SF popsicles.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

poet_kelly
on 1/18/15 1:02 am - OH

I was allowed cream of wheat when I was on pureed foods.  I don't think it is considered a liquid.  Eggs certainly are not a liquid.  What does your plan say?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kayleystar
on 1/18/15 2:42 am
RNY on 01/06/15

Did your surgeon not give you information on what you can have for each stage of your diet? 

I can have Cream of Wheat, however I was able to move directly to pureed foods post-op. 

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

Chilipepper
on 1/18/15 2:45 am

Cream of Wheat, oatmeal, mashed potatoes and gravy, crackers...these are all pure carbs and will knock you out of ketosis. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/18/15 3:11 am - OH

SOME plans include watery cream of wheat as part of the full liquids diet, but others do not.  

The real problem is less one of consistency and whether it is permitted for you right now, and more one of nutritional content.  As already pointed out, cream of wheat and mashed potatoes (which are, inexplicably, often "allowed" on the early post-op diet) are simply carbs and don't serve you well in the long run since one of the biggest challenges in weight control (even with WLS) is limiting carbs. I would recommend skipping the C of W.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

K P.
on 1/18/15 3:34 am
DS on 07/08/14

My husband was allowed cream of wheat during his liquid stage. However he needed to get 14g of protein during each "meal" so we had to add protein powder or enriched milk. He didn't tolerate it as well as some other foods and actually just preferred having a protein shake. I think it was in my liquid phase as well (I had DS). 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

StacyJo44
on 1/18/15 4:08 am - MN
RNY on 12/31/14

I'm almost to pureed foods (3 more days) and cream of wheat is listed in that section of allowed foods. It's recommended to make it with milk instead of water to add some extra protein. Contrary to some posts, there IS some nutritional value to CoW. It had 4 grams of protein and although it has 23 grams of carbs, one gram of that is fiber and there is NO sugar. There is also NO fat. Because we don't start Vitamins until we're starting solid foods (at least that's my clinics plan), Cream of Wheat offers a good amount of Calcium and iron and fair amounts of Niacin, Thiamin, Riboflavon, and folic acid. I realize from posts here, that there's a great amount of differences in our individual post surgery diet plans. I've seen a fair amount of posts on different threads that mention Ketosis so at my 1 week post op appointment, I asked my nurse and the PA about carbs because on the liquid diet, much of my list had foods with more carbs than protein ie: Watered down fruit juices, tomato soup, strained creamed soups and such. I was told that I needed to be more concerned with getting fluids and protein and less concerned about carbs and ketosis while healing. They did stress that once I got to pureed and soft foods, to focus on protein first. My book also says adding protein powder to soft foods is a good way to boost them. Even Skim milk which has 8 grams of Protein in 1 cup has 13 carbs, and 12 grams of SUGAR. This is MORE than cream of Wheat. I'd personally wait until pureed foods before you eat it, but when you do, remember that you can boost it with flavored or unflavored protein powder. Best bet is to ask your nurse or dietitian or a doctor at your WL clinic. Good luck! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/18/15 4:22 am, edited 1/18/15 4:22 am - OH

For MANY people, breaking their carb addiction is FAR more important than the small amount of vitamins in a teeny portion of C of W. You posted the stats for a full portion, but no one eats a full portion after WLS... whereas people can consume a full portion of milk.

There is also a big difference nutritionally between the sugar from lactose in milk products and added processed sugar! Even Greek yogurt, which is one of the best foods available to us after WLS has sugar from lactose.

Also, just FYI, many people start taking the extra vitamins right after surgery.

Lora

edited for autocorrect

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Chilipepper
on 1/18/15 4:24 am

So glad in all of your 3 weeks of post op experience you beg to differ with people who have personally lived this postop lifestyle successfully for YEARS because you think you are right and we are wrong. You are posting bad information and you reasoning is wrong. Most people in maintenance only eat at max 50 carbs a day. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics