doc not concerned

Mybratboys3
on 1/16/15 9:43 am

So I had my 1 month follow up appt. today and I was VERY honest w/ my doc about my protein and fluid intake. I'm getting about 8g. of protein a day (glass of milk or piece of string cheese), applesauce twice a day,  and maybe 20 oz of water ... Doc was not concerned, kept me on my soft diet but did add almonds, whole wheat toast and fat free wheat thins. I've lost 27 pounds since surgery. I walk about 7 miles a day and I'm going to add treadmill here pretty quick. My next follow up appt. isn't until Feb. 27th... should I have pushed further ? I can NOT do the protein shakes of any kind or the New Whey (grape flavored) or the unflavored that really isn't unflavored LOL  I don't know what else to try for protein cuz chicken and eggs turn my stomach, I'm absolutely HATE cottage cheese and yogurt. I'm guessing I'm getting about 200 calories MAX a day.  Can anyone else relate? Words of wisdom? 

Browneyedgirl33
on 1/16/15 9:56 am

I am not doing that bad but my calories are low as well. I have a hard time with meat as well.  I have started eating Peanuts.  They work for me.  I just have 1 small bag a day.  I cant eat Peanut butter it makes me sick.  I don't like cottage cheese or greek yogurt either.  You can do 2 cheese sticks instead of one.  I try to eat at least a couple bites of meat if I can.  I make myself do the protein.  If you have to up your milk.  I am worried that your doctor isn't concerned though.  My doctor told me if you didn't get the minimum of 60g of protein then your hair could potentially fall out.  So I have to force myself to get it all in because that is a fear I have.  I am amazed you can walk 7 miles on that low of calories.  I don't have the energy to do one yet.  I am still exhausted and adjusting and this is 9 weeks out for me.  Fat free refried beans might work.  I don't do well with them but sometimes I can eat a couple of bites of regular pinto beans.  Weird I know..... The fluids will keep you hydrated.  My doctor told me 64oz.  It helps with your skin elascity from what I have heard and all around keeps your body heathly and nourished.  If you don't like water you can do decaf tea or put sugar free kool aid in your water.  I know it is hard... Trust me.... This has been a tough journey for me as well.

poet_kelly
on 1/16/15 10:36 am - OH

Why would you add toast or wheat thins if you aren't getting your protein in?

I had a hard time getting my protein in at first.  And I ended up pretty sick due to it, I think. 

My words of wisdom are to find a way to get your protein in.

Why can't you do protein shakes of any kind?

Why are you only having one glass of milk or one piece of string cheese, but then having applesauce twice a day?  How about three glasses of milk a day?  Or three pieces of string cheese?

And how about other meats besides chicken?  Or how about beans?  Or tofu?  Or veggie burgers?  Or ricotta cheese?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mybratboys3
on 1/16/15 10:56 am

I plan to put peanut butter on the toast...I can't do protein shakes cuz they make me vomit, I don't want to do that, I can only handle one glass of milk and one piece of cheese, otherwise I get nauseated, I can handle the applesauce no problem and it keeps my sugar level from tanking, I was told I could only have canned chicken, no other meats, I've tried eggs and beans, I don't like tofu and I'm not on to any kind of "burger" veggie or not yet. Ricotta cheese isn't my thing, too much like cottage cheese. I'm TRYING for real I'm trying. I got the new whey protein and was told to add it to sugar free jello... my problem with that is it's too dang sweet for me and I can't stand the after taste of all those artificial sweeteners. I'd rather go without. Doc thinks adding toast (with peanut butter) will help as well as the almonds. The wheat thins at this point are just to get some crunch in and some calories to keep me moving. I have not had any wheat thins, but I did have about 6 almonds this morning. 

poet_kelly
on 1/16/15 10:59 am - OH

You may be nauseous due to dehydration.  Also, protein deficiency causes nausea.

I don't understand why you can have chicken but not other meats or seafood.  How is canned chicken different than tuna?

Perhaps some protein shakes make you vomit.  What kinds have you tried and how have you been making them?  What about clear protein drinks like Isopure or Cytomax?

I understand you don't like the taste of many things, but you know, you are going to need to get some protein in.  So maybe you need to pick which things you dislike least and eat them anyway.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mybratboys3
on 1/16/15 11:08 am

I have TRIED to eat things I don't like because I know I have to get protein in but I vomit and I can't be doing that. I have tried Unjury, Bariatric Advantage, Premier Protein, New Whey, the WalMart brands, Carnation, and I've tried w/ milk and water, and blended banana and strawberries , I COULD have canned tuna, but I don't do fish and seafood. Yes, I COULD be dehydrated, but I've got a bottle of water with me 24/7 and I'm doing the best I can. When I eat or drink I get a very painful "air bubble" ? in my throat, I told the doc about that too and he thought maybe that was my "sign" that I'm full. But after 1 drink of water I'm full??? After 1 bite of cheese I'm full ?? I KNOW what I NEED to do, and I'm trying but I CAN'T physically do it. vomiting is not an option for me. perhaps I need to call and ask for a prescription for an anti nausea med.

poet_kelly
on 1/16/15 11:10 am - OH

If you're only getting 20 oz of water a day you are almost certainly dehydrated. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/16/15 11:08 pm - OH

OMG, then just drink more freaking milk!!!

Sorry, but you have an excuse for every suggestion given and your excuses are endangering your health.  Eating carbs rather than protein are pretty much useless and I am VERY surprised that your doctor suggested it.  It will not help you in the long run and will probably just fuel your craving to keep carbs in your diet which is deadly in terms of weight loss down the road.

You need PROTEIN not carbs.  Your doctor's knowledge of nutrition is quite questionable is he is not concerned about your lack of protein and fluid. 

I suggest you consult another surgeon. If you're being honest about what physically happens when you eat or drink, you may have a stricture.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mybratboys3
on 1/16/15 11:33 pm

It's not that easy to "just drink more freaking milk"  as I said  I VOMIT... it's not an EXCUSE it's a reality. I can NOT help it. Do you think I WANT to vomit ??? Of course not. I've tried every dang protein shake, powder, fruit shot there is. I AM TRYING. And as I said I am going to have the doc check for stricture but obviously it's not gonna happen on a weekend. I have not eaten ANY carbs, nor do I desire to. His suggestion for the toast was to get some peanut butter on it for some protein.  I KNOW what I NEED. I am having problems doing it. I'm glad it's so clear cut and easy for YOU but apparently I'm the exception to the norm. 

poet_kelly
on 1/17/15 3:22 am - OH

With all these foods you dislike so much, what were you planning to eat for protein after your surgery?  Were you planning to live on applesauce and toast and crackers?

If you had a stricture, you would not be able to eat anything - not toast, not wheat thins, not string cheese once a day.  If you can drink one glass of milk, I don't understand why you can't drink a second glass later.  Yes, I hear you saying you vomit if you try to eat or drink anything you don't really like.  Have you always had that problem?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 207 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics