My hair !

browneyes65
on 1/16/15 1:22 pm - IN

I have noticed lately my hair is so limp and lifeless and I don't know why. I naturally have thin hair due to thyroid. I have not noticed hair falling out. I have been taking 5000 Biotin for a year but in the last few months stopped, not sure if it matters my nails are growing good.Should I increase to 10,000 Biotin ? I have only noticed this with my hair for about a month. I have tried different shampoo and conditioner. I will be 50 in a few months and just want my hair to get more body to it. Any suggestions ?

poet_kelly
on 1/16/15 3:29 pm - OH

Biotin will not give your hair more body.  And most people don't need to take extra biotin - most get plenty from a good multi.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

selhard
on 1/16/15 6:11 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Because of the possibility too much Biotin can contribute to unwanted facial hair, I shyed away from it.  (I do get 45 mcg found in a Centrum Silver chewable vitamin)  From three to fifteen months post-op, I sometimes would wear a pony-tail extension I ordered for $30 off an internet beauty supply place.  A faux pony-tail is easy, fun, and helps give the appearance of more body.   

catalina07
on 1/16/15 9:29 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

Is that true? too much Biotin can give you unwanted facial hair??? I have not heard of that before!! maybe I should stop taking it! I'd rather have thin hair than a beard! 

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

selhard
on 1/17/15 12:01 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

...that's why I used the word "possibility" because I have read both ways regarding Biotin.  I don't see how Biotin can help hair growth on the scalp without affecting other areas on the body, as well.

catalina07
on 1/17/15 11:57 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

thats true...I am going to look more into that! thanks

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

STB
on 1/16/15 9:31 pm
RNY on 07/21/14

are you getting enough protein? 60 - 80+ gms/day? I am almost 60 (in Feb) and  have an underactive thyroid also. i use Moroccan oil curling cream (very little - dime sized or less - goes a LONG way). My hair is a little longer than chin length and naturally curly. I just rub it in my palms then, lightly run t through my hair, scrunching it.

SHARON  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/18/15 3:06 am - OH

Some of what you are experiencing might be from too little fat in your diet and some of it may be hormone related since menopause frequently includes hair loss and/or changes in hair texture.

Yes, some people -- like me, unfortunately -- experience growth of excess facial hair when taking very large doses of biotin.  It is very fine but it is all over the lower part of my face on my cheeks and then in the mustache area (where it is dark enough that I end up bleaching it). I wish I ahd known that was a potential side effect of the biotin sixne it didn't help the hair on my head grow much faster than normal, anyway!

The excess facial hair is apparently permanent, so -- combined with the facts that 1) you are probably not biotin deficient, 2) there is no medical evidence that, if you are not deficient, taking additional biotin does anything for hair growth -- there is probably no point in increasing the dose you are taking and risking the extra hair growth. 

Probably the best thing you can do is to increase the good fat in your diet a bit, avoid harsh shampoos that strip the hair of natural oils, and use a good deep conditioner weekly. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 235 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 398 views
Recent Topics