How much weight did you lose? I hate this question... how do you answer?

Sherrie P.
on 1/19/15 10:21 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I am not entirely sure why "Oh my God, how much weight have you lost?" bothers me the most.  It just does. I am embarrassed that I have lost and adult person.  I don't like answering it.

Funny, I have no problem answering "how did you do it?" I tell anyone who asks about my surgery.

Does it bother you to tell people how much you lost?  

I usually respond, "A lot." or "Quite a bit... ha ha."  "I don't know, what do you weigh? About that much."

I literally ran into a woman I know at Wal-mart, she was talking to a friend of hers, and as I walked by she noticed me and screamed "Hey Sherrie, how much weight HAVE you lost" - across the damn deli section.  I was like, really??  All these people stopped and turned around to size me up.  

I had a lady ask me and I said, "Quite a bit" and she said, "what you don't want to say - you were so big you should shout it from the rooftops like the blessing it is."  This was at work too ... in my professional setting!  

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Kimberlyo
on 1/19/15 10:42 am - CA
RNY on 04/28/14

I totally agree, I won't answer that ? , I would never ask anyone that! 

Kimberly O

Shirleyann_43
on 1/19/15 11:42 am

I never answer that question either, I just change the subject again and again until people realize that I am not going to respond...

AnnyBananny
on 1/19/15 11:38 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

I'm with you - I'm happy to tell (most people) about my surgery, but I DO NOT tell how much I've lost. Some people get really persistent though and I notice those that do are the ones who are just casual acquaintances, so the LEAST likely people I'd want to tell, darnit.

Most often I reply with a simple, "Quite a lot, I've really committed to this new life style." Or something totally inane like that. I have had to say more than once, "I'm not comfortable sharing that." But most people do get the hint. 

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Pokemom
on 1/19/15 11:49 am
RNY on 12/29/14

How aggravating!!  People say such stupid things.  They just open their mouths and say whatever falls out of their brains.  

selhard
on 1/19/15 12:01 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Wonder what she's say if you asked, "how much do YOU think I've lost?"  Make her squirm and stutter a bit, then make sure you don't give her the satisfaction on an honest answer.

selhard
on 1/19/15 1:10 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

...however.... I have given an honest answer saying, "it's an amount hard for me to think about let alone tell." 

oneuppr1
on 1/19/15 12:11 pm

personaly im proud of what wls did for me, so i answer honestly, ill tell anyone how much i lost or anything about the surgery. i havent run accross anyone who looked down on the way i did it. maybe they do behind my back, lol, but being a big guy not many people would say anything to my face i guess. but i have to say everyone so far has been very positive about my wls. 

Sherrie P.
on 1/20/15 12:03 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I am super proud of my WLS ... and I tell everyone HOW I lost the weight. I just don't like saying how much I lost, or what I weigh/weighed.

My husband doesn't care about telling people his weight, maybe it is a guy thing.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Eggface
on 1/19/15 5:47 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

You could always use this...

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/04/what- have-you-lost.html

I'm a two month horse, a bale of hale and a human head ;)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 381 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 239 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?