Am I doing this right????

teach2
on 1/20/15 7:03 am
RNY on 12/23/14

Hello all-

I just had my surgery 4 weeks ago today. I haven't been able to get really much food down. It seems only a tablespoon or so... This doesn't get me much protein or calories. I haven't been over 400 calories since surgery. I HAVE been getting all my protein though- from shakes.

I'm worried that with this low calorie count, I will lower my metabolism and not be able to lose. Will that happen???? I lost 10 lbs at two weeks, and just weighed myself today, and am only down 3 more. I'm afraid I'm messed this whole thing up. Any insight???

Dartmouth
on 1/20/15 11:33 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

I had exactly the same problem...only about 350 a day for the first 4 weeks....my surgeon told me I had to increase my calories as I was going to go into starvation mode...he suggested that I add skim milk powder to all hot drinks (which I could drink easily) and into sugar free puddings and yogurt...I was able to get my calories up to 500 this way as I couldn't eat protein powder as any of them made me nauseous.  

Don't  worry though, you will be able to eat more soon and it will become more of a routine.....don't worry about low weight loss in the first 4-6 weeks...your body is recovering from a big shock and many people have a few week stall in weight loss at the third week after surgery....

joan

NYMom222
on 1/20/15 12:39 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Not everyone loses quickly in the beginning. I lost more weight he second month than the first. My surgeon never had us count calories. His concern was are you getting the 64oz of fluids in and are you getting at least 60-80g protein. It is true, at 4 weeks out you may only get a tablespoon or two in, but you can eat that tablespoon or two 5 or 6 times a day. It may drive you crazy, but you really have to pay attention right now and stay on schedule. It does get easier after about 3 months, I don't have to think so hard anymore.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

poet_kelly
on 1/20/15 5:19 pm - OH

Are you following your surgeon's plan?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

teach2
on 1/21/15 6:03 am
RNY on 12/23/14

Yes, I am following my surgeon's plan... however, he like some of the PPs - emphasizes protein and fluid intake. Being ME- has made me question the low calorie. I'm nervous about the surgery not working for me.  It terrifies me that I could fail at this too.

Thank you so much for your responses. They have made me feel better.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 477 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 441 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 383 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 106 views
Forum Search Error & 404