stupid question

Mybratboys3
on 1/23/15 12:21 pm

trying to figure out serving size vs. sugar grams.... Doc told me to stay under 12 g of sugar per serving (using serving size on the pkg)... so if (for example) an 8 oz serving of O.J. is 30g of sugar, is a 1/2 cup 15g of sugar??  I'm only using that as an example.  A lot of serving sizes are 1 cup or 1/2 cup and I'm not up to 1 cup of ANYTHING right now so that's why I'm trying to figure it out.  I know it sounds stupid but I'm just not sure if that's how it works or if it's 30g of sugar no matter how much you drink (using the O.J. as an example again)

poet_kelly
on 1/23/15 1:13 pm - OH

The amount of sugar would depend on how much you drink.  If one cup has 30 grams, half a cup would have 15 grams.  How could it have 30 grams no matter how much you drink?  I wi**** worked that way.  But no.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

selhard
on 1/23/15 2:12 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I don't find sugar grams nearly as confusing as supplement dosages.  For example,  the Bariatric Advantage chewable calcium citrate tablets say 500 mg on the FRONT of the bottle.  The BACK of the bottle says a serving size is three chewable tablets which leads me to think it takes three tablets to equal 500 mg.  But, no, a graph on the bottle shows three tablets equal 1500 mg so I'm wrong---I think? .....  Then, I see "% of daily value" read a number like 225%....isn't that over double necessary?  All this makes my brain hurt just like when attempting to complete newspaper crossword puzzles and sudoku. All I know for 100% sure, don't drink O.J., it's not on our list of acceptable food choices! 

Dartmouth
on 1/23/15 10:58 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Ok...my brain hurt just reading your post....I think we all should get a PHD in chemistry and biology before surgery so that we can figure out how to translate grams into ozs, % into totals, blood test results, iron requirements.....

and actually I am a pretty smart cookie( well, kale chip anyway)... I get confused when I weigh myself in the morning and my husband has reset the scale to kilos from pounds.

Ah well, gives me something else to obsess about rather than why I haven't lost weight this week!

Joan

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/23/15 8:45 pm

At almost 7 years post op - i never drink liquids with sugar...OJ.is bad idea imo...really bad..

Don't drink your calories, unless it is a protein drink, early on, our later when you can't get enough proteins during the day, day after day...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 1/23/15 10:19 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Orange juice is really not good for you. I know that we've been taught that it's a healthy choice, but there is really no difference between any sort of juice with that much sugar and a regular coke or pepsi. And no one would argue that a full sugar coke or pepsi is a healthy choice.

But yes, if a full cup is 30 grams, a half cup is 15, and a quarter cup is 7.5 grams

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

STB
on 1/24/15 4:05 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I found this confusing as well - not a stupid question! I was told to keep sugars to under 7 gms/serving so anything that is not at or under 7gms I don't buy. I would think that even if you have a "half" serving that the sugar would be concentrated and high in that portion and could potentially cause an issue - that is my reasoning but I don't know if that is accurate. I am very afraid of "dumping" so I steer clear. I also don't want to get on a slippery slope of pushing the limits to see what I can and cannot tolerate. If I find I can tolerate it, it will be that much harder to resist and fall back into old habits.

SHARON  

lynnc99
on 1/24/15 10:05 am

You've got it exactly right.

If a serving = 1 cup, then 1/2 cup (or 1/2 of a serving) would contain half the sugar. 

By the way, fruit juices are very concentrated sources of sugar. My dietitian advised to steer clear in general. Better to sit tight till you can actually eat the orange! Much better for you and more satisfying too!

Mybratboys3
on 1/24/15 11:55 am

Guys, I KNOW to stay away from O.J. and other juices. I was just using that as an example because my son had it out getting a glass, so I got the nutritional information off of it to use as an example ONLY. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 374 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views
Forum Search Error & 404