Do calories matter? Different kinds of calories?

Pokemom
on 1/24/15 5:44 am, edited 1/24/15 5:45 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Hi!  Recently I read a thread where a couple of OH members were discussing how fruit sugars are burned, and also whether or not different kinds of macronutrients (carbs/proteins/sugars/fats) are handled differently by our bodies.

It reminded me of a discussion I read recently by Peter Attia on his blog, The Eating Academy, where he explored this topic, in a post called "Do Calories Matter?"  I thought I would post a link here, in case anyone wanted to read it, or to explore Peter's blog in general.

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter

Does anyone else here read Attia's stuff?  His discussions really get into chemical-level things, but they are very interesting. Among other topics, he explores nutritional ketosis.  He tends to be one of these people *****ally push the limits and use their own bodies as experiments (the "n=1" kind of study).   Peter is also friends with Gary Taubes, who has researched and written a lot about sugars, and together with others, they have formed a group called NuSci, which is aiming for better research into metabolic issues.

If you have never seen Peter's TED talk on insulin resistance, diabetes, and weight, it is really worth watching.  (I may have posted it sometime before, but oh well, it is worth watching, so it's worth posting again!) He explains his personal journey from being highly judgmental of overweight people with diabetes to later facing his own struggle with metabolic syndrome and being ashamed of his past judgements.  He now questions the current assumptions about these things and leads out in calling for better science to inform our understanding.  It is a very moving and affirming discussion to watch.

https://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia_what_if_we_re_wrong_ab out_diabetes?language=en

siberiancat
on 1/27/15 1:35 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Just my opinion - I do read a lot of books (Including authors you listed), listen to podcasts and do online research, BUT I always have to remember that most authors are assuming people have "normal & complete" gastrointestional tracts - AND mine is not.  I've had RNY and I can not metabolize and absorb food, nutrients, vitamins & minerals the way "normal" people do.  I also can not eat the volume of food that "normal" people do and I have to take supplements for LIFE.

Take this into consideration when reading for people with their entire GI tract "intact".

I have found that most authors, podcasters, nutritional experts, etc. don't know how to respond or address their hypothesis to those of us who have had gastric bypass surgery.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Pokemom
on 1/27/15 2:43 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Yes, that is such a good point.  Thank you.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views