Candy cane roux syndrome

CyndiU
on 1/24/15 10:09 am - Hartford, SD

Has anyone ever heard of this?  I am a June 2006 RNY and for the past couple years have been having a lot of issues.  I first thought I was having a heart attack, but after a week in the hospital, that was ruled out.  I've had a lot of respiratory issues - with pain in the upper stomach, mid chest area.  I've met with my RNY surgeon several times.  This last time he found a candy cane roux.  I will have to have same day surgery to repair it.  I'll find out more later, but was really wondering if anyone else has had this?  Thanks 

Cyndi :)
Smile...people will wonder what you've been up too.

CindyLu71
on 1/24/15 10:43 am - TX

never heard of it, but I would sure like to keep up with ur post. I had the RNY just 6 weeks ago, but I had an episode where I thought I was having a heart attack also. Scared me to death. I have never had that kind of pain in the midchest, upper stomach. I havent had it since, but it really scared me.

CindyLu 

lumenamoris
on 1/25/15 6:20 am
RNY on 01/07/15

I have never heard of it either.  I know what you are talking about however as far as symptoms go.  I had my surgery on the 7th and I frequently have this issue to.  I feel sometimes like my chest is just going to explode and can't even hardly breathe.

kokosuggs
on 1/24/15 10:45 am

never heard of it but I wish the best for you...keep us posted

RNY 1/19/15   SW 238  CW 169 GW ??

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/24/15 10:49 am - OH

I have heard of it, but have not had it myself.  Not too long ago one of our surgeons had to do a surgical repair on a woman who was a couple of years post-op and was having pain, reflux, and occasional vomiting because of it.

I only found out about it after the surgery was done and she was in the office for the surgical follow-up, but she said it was a simple surgical recovery and she was feeling great after the "fix".

Good luck!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

catwoman7
on 1/24/15 3:05 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I remember reading somewhere that this doesn't happen anymore because the surgical techniques they use have changed over the years, but that's all I can remember about it.  There may be some folks on the WLS Grads forum that are familiar with it since some of them had their surgeries several years ago.

Chilipepper
on 1/25/15 6:16 am

I had it. It's also called a blind limb. They are finding it more in long term post ops because of the surgical techniques used. It's like a little appendage that forms and food gets impacted in it and causes gastrointestinal distress.  When I had my gastrogastric fistula repaired and my gastrectomy, they fixed that also. 

No worries about it.  

I am in my phone and can't hyperlink OH(they need to fix this)

just copy and paste it. 

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/blind-loop-syndrome/basics/causes/con-20024503

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2981163/

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 503 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 450 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 305 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
Recent Topics