confused?

Tracie G.
on 1/26/15 4:15 am
RNY on 01/21/15

I had Lap band to RNY Revision last Wednesday (so I'm 5 days out)  The nutritionist is saying for me to have no more than 1 oz of clear liquid every 15 minutes, but I remember my doctor saying some people can hold 2oz depending on swelling and such.  The nutritionist says I don't want to overfill my pouch, but the nurse at the doctors office says don't stress that I will KNOW when I've had too much.  I don't know what to do, it makes it difficult to meet my fluid/protein/carb goals on only 1oz per 15 minutes.  I'm so confused, they want me to get in 60 protein, 60 carbs 64 oz liquid, but obviously have no sugar, no milk, no creamy and only 4oz an hour! 

Jenn S.
on 1/26/15 4:23 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

They are probably going on the side of caution as some people are very sensitive after surgery and can only sip a little here and there. I was not one of these and I have never had any issues drinking normally the way I did before surgery. If you can drink a little more without it bothering you then do it.  Your pouch isn't going to get full from water.  Most of us had to work up to getting in the 64oz of liquid and 60grams of protein. So don't stress.  You're doing great.  Keep up the good work.

Tracie G.
on 1/26/15 4:32 am
RNY on 01/21/15

Thank you, that relieves me a little.  Its so stressful to be recovering and trying to do everything right.  Did your nutritionist push carbs as well?  All I ever heard was protein, protein, protein, but I had three different people tell me before I left the hospital to get carbs too.  Wish I would have known that before surgery, so I could have planned accordingly with the supplements. Too late to order and the Ensure Clear that I can get from the local store makes me sick.

Jenn S.
on 1/26/15 4:39 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

My plan called for very little carbs until I lost 75% of my excess weight.  At 5 weeks I was allowed carbs from things like dairy and beans, but never any grains. At 7 months out I still don't eat much in the way of grains.  By the time I eat my protein and maybe a little veggies I am full and there is no room for anything else. That said, every doctor has their preference for meal plans and there are people who post here that were allowed a certain amount of carbohydrates. Follow your plan the way your nutritionist explained it and let them know if things are confusing or if you aren't sure what to eat. I'm sure you'll do fine. Before long you'll have your food routine down and you won't have to think about it so much.  

Cathy W.
on 1/26/15 4:26 am

I would follow what your surgeon told you but I wouldn't pu****  If you feel full, stop.  One of the benefits to the surgery is that we get to listen to our bodies.  If your doctor says 2 ounces but you feel full on less than that, your body is telling you ENOUGH.  

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Tracie G.
on 1/26/15 4:36 am
RNY on 01/21/15

I am actually able to drink 2 oz at a time...maybe not exactly every 15 minutes (maybe 20), but the nutritionist told me not to because she didn't want me to overfill my pouch.

kokosuggs
on 1/26/15 4:47 am

I feel the same way..I'm 1 week out      My Dr is telling me this 1st week or 2, I can aim for 48 oz liquids or more....

Its a process   it is very hard to sip all day..but I am doing MORE than 1 oz at a time...

just got my staples out today & Dr said water, protein shakes, popsicles, soup broth etc...   its all liquid and goes right thru our pouch so there is no need to wait to drink or sip anything else....keep sipping all these things...they told me today to start wking on getting more calories in.& 60 protein

RNY 1/19/15   SW 238  CW 169 GW ??

Tracie G.
on 1/26/15 5:20 am
RNY on 01/21/15

It IS hard to sip all day!  I have a call in to the nurse at the doctor's office so I can get her perspective.  I'm not in pain and not nauseous, so I'm probably fine, but I am trying to follow their plan.  They gave me no idea of what I should be able to do, they just gave me goals of 60protein 60 carbs and 64oz liquid.  Then followed up with I don't expect you to get all of it at first.  I actually got 60oz of liquid yesterday, so I was proud of myself.  Today I get the email from the nutritionist saying ONLY 1 oz every 15 minutes so I started getting overwhelmed.  

Good luck in your recovery!

NoDaybut2Day
on 1/26/15 7:50 am - CA
RNY on 07/03/14

It's all super hard to get done in the beginning.  Be nice to yourself!  Don't worry too much just keep trying.  I didn't get it all in like they wanted me to for nearly 3 months and my numbers were still fine at my 6 month blood test.  The nurse is right, you will KNOW when you are full and can take no more.  It feels like you've finished desert after a huge Thanksgiving meal and you may have only had 1 oz.  Stay positive and try not to stress!!  I got myself in such a state my first week and it was really all for nothing.  Good Luck!!

HW: 308,  CW: 261,  SW: 240,  Now: 135.8  M1: -23.4  M2: -12.0 M3: -10.2 M4: -10.0 M5: -9.0  M6: -10.0  M7: -2.0  M8: -6.8  M9: -7.6 M10: -4.6 M11: -3.6  M12: -3.7  M13: -1.2

Tracie G.
on 1/26/15 8:03 am
RNY on 01/21/15

Thank you!  It makes me feel better to know that I'm not going to fall over if I don't get it all in haha.  I will take a step back and just do what I can do!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404