Is this dumping?

Poodlemac
on 1/25/15 11:34 am
RNY on 09/26/14

So, yesterday I had a Werthers Original candy with Apple filling. Delicious, I must say. Within minutes I was nauseous!  The candy is like a caramel with Apple filling- one piece only. Could this be a light dumping?? Haven't had anything high fat/high sugar since surgery. Just curious.

poet_kelly
on 1/25/15 12:34 pm - OH

How much sugar is in one candy?  Probably not enough to dump.  And nausea alone is not dumping.  Unless you had other symptoms of dumping, it wasn't that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/25/15 1:05 pm, edited 1/25/15 1:06 pm - OH

As Kelly said, dumping is much more than just nausea... BUT... if I eat just a little bit too much sugar I become nauseated despite the fact that, in a full dumping episode, the first things I experience are the racing heart, flushing, shakiness, and lightheadedness/dizziness. If I have any nausea, it comes in the "second wave" of symptoms. So I think it is possible for nausea to be a warning about the sugar content of something.  

However... one piece of one of their regular hard candies has only  3g of sugar, though, and I don't personally know anyone who is that sensitive to sugar.  (The sugar free ones that are sweetened with sugar alcohols, however, can cause nausea and diarrhea for people sensitive to them...)

Lora

p.s. I looked up the apple filled ones. They have 4g of sugar.  Still not much, but if you are extra sensitive...

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Poodlemac
on 1/25/15 1:42 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Thanks you guys. I was a little shaky this morning -very little but i attributed it to coffee. No candy this morning, tho. Hope it's not blood sugar related. 

MyLady Heidi
on 1/25/15 6:10 pm

I get nauseous from anything with too much fat or sugar nearly instantly, if you ate a few more you would have probably gotten the full dumping experience.  Be happy and work this to your advantage, it is a good indicator to stay away or pay the price.

soozy_q
on 1/26/15 12:49 am
RNY on 10/20/14

Sugar free Werther's Originals are a great alternative.  I have one or two a day and really feel like I am cheating.

Sandie E.
on 1/26/15 1:33 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

I agree with all said above....each of our bodies have our "limits" and "triggers" when it comes to grams of sugar or fat....you are learning yours :)  I went through the same thing and still do at times but I pay attention and don't eat that again lol

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 518 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views