Gallbladder - HIDA Scan

Another Fatone
on 2/12/15 4:03 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hello

I am some 18 months out. During that time I have been in the ER with chest pains. The heart checks out ok. An ultrasound spotted the gallstones. My liver function numbers have jumped up. This might be from alcohol  last few months. My bad. Upon leaving the ER they recommended a HIDA scan.

The pain starts slow in the center of the chest just below the breast bone. Carafate or sipping water does not affect the pain. The pain gets up to a 9 then slowly goes away over a period of 3 to 5 hours.

The bariatric surgeon says the gallbladder needs to come out a HIDA is not necessary. The PCP sides with the ER and suggests a HIDA scan. I scheduled the HIDA scan.

What will the HIDA scan tell us?

Thank you. 

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

ladygodiva1228
on 2/12/15 7:43 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

The HIDA scan will tell you if the  gallbladder is slow, sluggish stuff like that.  I had one done as I was getting aches that would come and go on my right side right at my ribs.  Turns out I had a sluggish gallbladder.  It was strange since it didn't matter what I ate.  Even when I was on my pre-op liquid diet I would get the aches.  When I had my revision done my surgeon took out my gallbladder also.  Feel so much better.

The scan is about an hour or so long and you just lay on a table with a machine that goes over your stomach.  They put a nuclear substance in and it highlights the liver, bile duct, gallbladder.  Towards the end of the scan they put another substance in the IV and you can feel the gallbladder contract a little. 

Great time to take a nap.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

aesposito
on 2/13/15 3:18 am

To add to what the previous poster said... you can take a nap for a bit, but if it was anything like mine, the second shot caused pain so severe I nearly shot off the table.  Later they said my ejection fraction was a 4, which means my gallbladder is a useless sludge-filled lump. 

But to answer your question, in simplest terms, the HIDA scan will ultimately tell you if your gallbladder is functioning like it should. But even then, be prepared for your PCP to question removing it... some doctors (like my GI doc) are more cautious about taking them out as sometimes the side-effects after removal are kind of yucky.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

AR_Queen
on 2/13/15 7:33 am
RNY on 05/29/13

If you have gallstones, especially with having had RNY, your gall bladder is coming out, so I would skip the HIDA if it were me.  Seems like an unecessary expense.

Another Fatone
on 2/13/15 9:08 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

This is a great site!

I appreciate everyone's input.

I will follow the advise of AR Queen and my surgeon Dr Kim who says "pain 3x  + stones + RNY =  Cholecystectomy.

I will contact my PCP Monday morning to make sure he is onboard. 

PS: I am a 70 year old male with 9 grandkids 

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

kokosuggs
on 2/14/15 2:17 pm

b4 my RNY  I was told I had gallstones but I wasn't having symptoms...so Dr put me on actigall for 3 months...I hope this helps..I don't want anymore sugery..

RNY 1/19/15   SW 238  CW 169 GW ??

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 338 views