please look at my menu and see what you think

teach2
on 3/25/15 3:09 am
RNY on 12/23/14

Hey guys- If you peruse the general discussion thread, you may have seen this. They suggested I show to you since your the RNY experts. Thanks so much for taking the time to look and respond. I appreciate it.

I apologize right off the bat for this will be a long post. I am three months post op from RNY. I know there can be stalls- and possibly gain. I've searched for comparable posts, but I would love some of you veterans to please help me.  I know that I can't get these precious FIRST 6 mos. back and I need to make the most of them, which is why I'm writing this novel... since my last log in on the space below my post, I lost no weight- ok- stall. Then this past week I weighed THREE POUNDS MORE.  WHAT???

Here is my menu for the last two days ( I promise you I've logged everything!!)

Sunday- ( I have been really hungry lately!)

B- Premier Chocolate drink

L-2 0z of homemade chicken salad- made with chicken (no skin), celery, walnuts, a very small few grapes, and 1TB of mayo

one fourth of a small avacado

D- 2 oz of baked ham with a scant of bar b que sauce on it

1 TB of broccoli

S- 13 smokehouse almonds

one fourth of a Nature Value Almond Crunch bar- no gluten or even oats

three fourths of a Pure Protein Peanut Butter bar

totals-cal- 764  carb-28  protein- 81

Monday-

B-Premier chocolate

L- 2 0z chicken salad

one fourth avocado (same lunch as before)

D-1 and a half oz of meatloaf

1 TB of broccoli

S- Light and Fit greek yogurt w/ 1 teas of PB2

10 smokehouse almonds

totals- cal- 696  carb-36  protein- 66

Ok- I get at least 64oz of liquid per day. Most days it's closer to 70- but I've never gone over 80. I cannot tolerate plain water since the surgery- it makes me very nauseus so I put Crystal Light in the water. Could the artificial sweetener be an issue??

I need to tell you that my PA said that I shouldn't go over 80g of protein because she says it can cause weight gain. Now, I don't know if she meant only in my first few months or always. I am going to clarify that because many on here say that protein should be at least 100 for RNY. What is your opinion on protein and weight loss? I haven't had my first labs done yet.  I will go next month for those.

I haven't been totally diligent with my exercise either. I am a teacher and I walk during my planning period most days. I'm working on trying to do more, but haven't done it yet. Things are busy for me right now as far as classroom stuff goes.

Soooo- there you have it. My confession on a plate for you to devour. What do you think? Am I doing something wrong? Why have I GAINED weight? Am I not using my first precious 'honeymoon' months to the  fullest? I don't want to mess up. I'd appreciate any and all feedback.  Thank you!!

RNY on December 23, 2014 with Dr. Michael Greene

Start Weight- 225 Surgery Weight- 218 2 wk- 208 6 wk- 198 10 wk- 181 14wk-179 18 wk-172 21 wk- 168 25 wk- 162. 29 wk- 158. Mo 8 - 155

Mo 9- 150 Mo 10-148. Mo 12-145  CW 140

Chavon1
on 3/25/15 3:39 am - Pensacola, FL

You are doing awesome!! Good choices with the food and awesome that you are getting in your fluids. Artificial sweetener is okay but I wouldn't use too much

Rjoy
on 3/25/15 6:05 am

I'm 9 days post-op and still in the full liquid stage.  Your menu looks absolutely yummy!  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/25/15 6:24 am
RNY on 12/31/13

First, I see nothing inherently wrong with anything you are eating.  I am not certain why you are concerned?  Am I understanding that you gained weight?  If it's just a pound or two, I would guess it's from normal water weight fluctuations -- there's a lot of salt in your entries and your body may have just retained some water weight.  The only thing that I would be leery of is the protein bars... but even that seems reasonable to me. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

DailyMae123
on 3/25/15 6:39 am

You are 3 months out?  This seems like a hefty menu for a 3 month.  I agree your gain is probably from the high sodium you have eaten.  You could do less carbs and more protein.  Maybe you could keep those nuts for farther down the road, they tend to be high in fat. I love avocados but they have too many calories for me.  I save those for a special day.  I also agree about the bars.  They are pretty sneaky.  They have a lot of calories.  I guess bottom line I would suggest more protein shakes and add greek yogurt.  If your hungry raw veggies and hummus is always a good choice.

Keep recording what you consume.  Are you exercising?  Hate it but gotta do it.

Good luck.  Don't worry, your doing fine.

jazzycatz
on 3/25/15 6:42 am, edited 3/25/15 6:42 am - Joppa, MD

Eating too much protein is not really going to cause you to gain weight. Eating more calories than you burn is going to cause you to gain weight. Eating more protein can increase the amount of fat people are consuming if they aren't paying attention and that can hurt your loss.

Just as a general idea try this protein calculator from U of MD. It's for non-ops but it has me requiring 86grams a day and that is close to what I aim for. protein calculator

Now your menu. I struggle to remember 3 months out but I know I was off the protein shakes by then. Mostly because I hate 95% of them. ****ep the RTD Atkins (150 cals, 15gs protein) for emergency's because I have some reactive hypoglycemia now.) Your food choices look pretty good. At 3 months I wouldn't have eaten the broccoli but I needed that extra TBSP of protein. If you are good with it and getting your protein in then I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Just get the protein in first.

I'm just over 4 1/2 years out. I have stayed within 10lbs of my goal weight. I have stayed focused on protein first. Try to avoid as many white carbs as I can, never went back to bread or pasta but I do have the occasional bit of white potato but mostly a yam/sweet potato girl now.

But right now it's protein and water you need.

Edited to add link I forgot.

jazzycatz
on 3/25/15 6:54 am - Joppa, MD

One more thing...did you mean Nature Valley Granola crunch bar? At 3 months out you don't want that. Not enough protein in that to help you. They are mostly sugar and carbs made to look healthy. Not so much.

And I caution against the protein bars and becoming to dependant or too fond of them. One of the reasons I keep the Atkins shakes in my emergency stash is because I don't like them that much. Otherwise, if I got too stressed out here at work I would be all over them. I did keep protein bars and that is what happened. I would eat them in non-emergency situations. Learn your weaknesses.

Maria27
on 3/25/15 7:08 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Weight fluctuations of five or less pounds are normal, and I think your menu looks pretty good. I agree will a lot of what others have said. But I would keep the avocado. They are low in carbs as far as fruit goes, and one-fourth an avocado is not going to add a large number of calories to your day. My dietitian also recommends one serving, but only one, of nuts each day. Also, do you eat fish regularly? The reason for the nuts, avocado, and fish are healthy fats. I don't know about you, but I feel the effects of not getting enough healthy fats in my diet.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

NYMom222
on 3/25/15 1:48 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

At three months out I would not eat bars on a regular basis, as others have said. I think they should be part of an emergency stash... as in better than fast food on the road. I eat almonds occasionally now, but not at 3 months...again at three months it is all about the protein, have a protein snack. When it comes to stalls, I always think it is a good idea to change up what you are eating, we get into ruts, and don't be afraid of some fat.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

teach2
on 3/26/15 7:28 am
RNY on 12/23/14

Thank you all so much for taking the time to analyze my eating and read that long post. Your opinions mean so much.  I appreciate each of you.

Debbie

RNY on December 23, 2014 with Dr. Michael Greene

Start Weight- 225 Surgery Weight- 218 2 wk- 208 6 wk- 198 10 wk- 181 14wk-179 18 wk-172 21 wk- 168 25 wk- 162. 29 wk- 158. Mo 8 - 155

Mo 9- 150 Mo 10-148. Mo 12-145  CW 140

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 12 replies · 88 views