Tinnitus and too much Vitamin D

bomoni727
on 3/30/15 11:28 pm - MN

I need your help on this forum.  I am almost 3 and a half years out and doing well with a minimum of weight gain, so I am doing well keeping my weight in check and doing what I am suppose to do.  But, here's the issue.  I have come down with Tinnitus and it's so annoying.  I read somewhere that taking too much vitamin D can cause among other things Tinnitus.  I would like for someone on here to refresh my memory on how much vitamin d we need after surgery.  I take 10,000 a day, which I think now may be too much.  I did just have my labs done about 2 months ago and it appears that my numbers are within range.  I just need to know if I should go off vitamin D for a little bit to see if it helps with the Tinnitus or what.  It would just be helpful for someone to give me the list of what I should be taking every day.  I know that we all are different, but I think just to know the basics would be very helpful.  Please someone respond.  I really would like to know your thoughts and opinions.  I am reaching out for your help.  Thanks for responding back.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/30/15 11:54 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

What does your doctor say? If your numbers are in range, I doubt they would want you to stop taking D.

I don't know if high D can cause tinnitus, but there are a million things that definitely do. I've had tinnitus for many years, even when my D was very low, before surgery.

Occam's Razor. Your tinnitus is likely from a very common cause, not an unlikely one. And Vitamin D excess, which you don't even have, is unlikely.

Talk to your doctor, and avoid diagnosing yourself on the internet.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

poet_kelly
on 3/31/15 12:27 pm - OH

Most RNY folks need at least 10,000 IU vitamin D3 a day to maintain a good level.  Many need more.  I need almost twice that much.  And if your labs show yours is in normal range, I doubt it would be causing tinnitius.  if that was the case, it would not mean taking too much vitamin D was causing tinnitus but taking the amount needed for a good vitamin D level was causing it.  That seems pretty unlikely.

I'm sure there are other possible causes of tinnitus, right?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 3/31/15 12:28 pm - OH

As far as what you should be taking every day, you should be taking the amount of D3 necessary for you to maintain a healthy vitamin D level.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Alex8899
on 8/23/20 10:26 am, edited 8/30/20 8:54 pm

I've been suffering from tinnitus for about half a year. So, I know how annoying it can be. As I was very tired of it, I decided to look for the solution. My friend suggested me using staten island audiology service. Also I read good reviews about it. Having been examined there, I started receiving treatment. It is called Serenade. I should say, it works and I feel relief. Speaking about Vitamin D, I've never heard about its ability to cause tinnitus.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics