Notify doc if you puke?

cheapskate
on 4/2/15 12:45 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

I am day 4 post op. I am allowed runny oatmeal. I didn't make it runny enough and it came back up.  Do I need to notify my doctor or is it just trial and error? 

ShebasMom
on 4/2/15 1:34 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I didn't puke early on, I was about 3.5 weeks out and ate too much soft meat (didn't follow instructions).  What does your discharge notes say about "when to call the doctor'?  How much oatmeal did you eat? Every surgeon has a different eating plan, and I was only allowed liquids the first 2.5 weeks. And 2 oz at a time.  If you ate too much volume or too quickly, that would make you vomit.  Was there blood or bile in the vomit?  Are you having any pain in your pouch? or fever? Those are the common questions asked. Right now, your pouch is swollen from the surgery and doesn't hold much. Over time the swelling will go down and slowly over several months you will increase the volume to stretch the pouch. At a year, it's expected to hold about 8 oz.

If you feel concerned, please call your doctor.  Hope all is well.

Donna

cheapskate
on 4/2/15 1:43 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

Ok. Thank you. I am allowed 2 tbs od certain foods 3 times a day. I feel fine, i will relook at my discharge. Itqas supposed to be soupy and I am certain I juat didn't make it soupy enough. 

Semaenlightened
on 4/2/15 1:50 pm
RNY on 03/25/15

I am 8 days post op but my program is Full Liquids only for 2 weeks.  If you have any concern call...your docs office should be accommodating for recently post op (or any patient at that)...it is normal to have questions or concerns.  As far as the vomiting goes my program says to call if we vomit for more that 48 hours.  It says that it is a pretty regular occurrence at some point for RNY's and in fact gives a script for melt in your mouth zofran (for nausea and vomiting) to everyone who has the surgery.  Hope you have better luck!

Bethany

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 194 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views