Anyone else more sensitive to sinus drainage after RNY?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/6/15 10:45 am, edited 4/6/15 10:45 am - OH

I spent a good portion of the late morning and early afternoon with a sinus headache and dry heaving because of a large amount of sinus drainage.  With the small pouch, I get nauseated much more easily if I have a lot of sinus drainage from illness or allergies.  

It isn't something I have heard others mention, so I am curious a both whether others have experienced this.  It normally just makes me really queasy; this is the first time I have had dry heaves (and one time before I actually vomited becasue there was food in my pouch).

Once the sinus meds I took kicked in and the drainage lessened, so did the nausea, but it took a number of hours.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

angel91e
on 4/6/15 11:25 am
RNY on 01/15/14

I hear you loud and clear! I have a terrible time with nausea from sinus drainage and have had to resort to OTC motion sickness meds to keep the dry heaving at bay so I could function. It's funny that the drainage bothers me so much since I rarely have nausea from anything else anymore.

I hope you feel better soon. I found sometimes a cool wet washcloth on my forehead helps soothe my sinus headaches.

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

carimiller9173
on 4/6/15 10:51 pm - Wilmington, DE

I thought it was just me.  I had sinus issues 2 weeks ago and was so sick in my tummy/pouch.  Glad to know I am not alone.

Cari

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/7/15 9:30 am - OH

Thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one.  I have noticed it before, but it has never been as bad as it was yesterday.  The hours of dry heaves every 15-20 minutes ****il the Claritian and Mucinex combination kicked in) really took me by surprise!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Chilipepper
on 4/7/15 9:41 am

Yes Yes Yes!!

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

PMGreen
on 4/7/15 11:44 pm - Hartville, OH

I had the same problem after my surgery, only I had so much drainage I could not eat or drink or you know what happens.  I now use a nasal spray from my doctor twice a day called Ipratropium Bromide.  It slows the production of mucus.  Works for me.  

Paulette Green  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?