Consultation Questions?

kikilay
on 4/7/15 5:58 am

So I just got the call to schedule my initial consultation with the surgeon. I know it isn't a big deal and I have a long process ahead of me but it feels so good to finally feel like I'm moving closer to my surgery.

My surgeon likes you to bring a list of questions you have about the surgery. For the life of me I can not think of a single one. I don't know if its because I have googled so much on it. Or because I have decided I am doing it no matter the risk.

If you don't mind sharing what questions did you ask your surgeon??

Maria27
on 4/7/15 6:11 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I asked him which surgery he recommended for me. Even if you already know which surgery you want, it is still a good idea to get your surgeon's recommendation. I also asked him how often he has performed RNY and gastric sleeve. The consultation is the time to make sure that you trust that surgeon to operate on you. You could also ask about his complication percentage. Facilities have records of their complication percentage and can compare them to the average.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

kikilay
on 4/7/15 6:54 am

Thank you Maria those are great questions. Totally had a duh moment after reading your post.  I am def going to ask about complication rates especially leaks. I have had a nightmare that I had a leak after surgery. Which is crazy dream when I am still months away from even being given a date.  I saw someones post where they had the band and had complications  and their surgeon told them after that he didn't think it was a good idea. When she asked why he didn't he tell her that before he told her it because its what she wanted so he just did it. I def do not want to be that person.

Doingrightin2015
on 4/7/15 7:14 am
RNY on 03/10/15

You can also ask what length of time you will be in the hospital or surgery center depending on what you decide you want You can also ask how long you will need to be off work. If you have a pre-op diet before and what will be your different levels will be diet wise after the surgery. Example I was 1 week of clear liquids following surgery then 3 weeks pureed then will be 2 months of soft before I get to regular diet. Maybe what meds you will need to be taking? Will you have an edg done prior to surgery. If you are a caffeine drinker...how long will you not be allowed to have it.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

selhard
on 4/7/15 12:03 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Ask him/her what questions stand out in their mind as important ones, what s/he wants you to know, or ask the nurse for some question suggestions before the surgeon walks in the room.  My surgery was during deer hunting season so I asked the male surgeon if I was going to have to climb a deerstand and have surgery performed up in a tree? ha.  His answer was, "nope, I fish but don't hunt."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 265 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics