Unbearable constipation/Blockage ect. I found the cure for me .hope you find relief as well.

Zonechef
on 4/8/15 1:37 pm, edited 4/8/15 1:53 pm
RNY on 12/03/14

I am exactly 4 months out of surgery and the constipation blockages ect was excruciating and I tried everything from stool softeners to Milk of Magnesia, to glycerin suppositories, to prunes, with very minimal relief. Sorry for the TMI but I was bleeding digging, all to no avail. Then I heard about flaxseed meal-basically ground flaxseed. I mixed 2 tablespoons 3x a day into high fiber food, steel cut oats, Yogurt, and all bran cereal. Happy to report that this has transformed my miserable existence to one of joy. It is not quite perfect yet but pretty close. A bit of a strain still but nothing compared to how it was. I am having daily BM's As opposed to one every 3 days or so, with minimal pain and often no pain nor blood. Ground flax meal(not golden flaxmeal, regular is better ) is what I use and it is wonderful. I still eat some prunes throughout the day and take a stool softener in the am and pm but that had basically no effect until I added the ground flaxseed. I have seen many of you struggling with this in your posts and I hope that my results will help you as well. Wishing you all "smooth Sailing". This is the one I have been using. Less that $4 a Pound and 2 tps per serving  (60 caleries at 3 serving per day it is only 180calories a day)*mixed with anything eg steel oat, yogurt, whole grain cereal ect works great. Wishing you the vast relief and renewed quality of life that I have found.

MyLady Heidi
on 4/8/15 1:47 pm

Oatmeal can cause constipation, I would skip that.  Eat yogurt everyday and you can skip all that other crap.  Greek yogurt is really the best cure for constipation in my opinion.

chulbert
on 4/8/15 11:20 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

The solution to constipation is fiber.  Oatmeal has tons; greek yogurt has none.  Fiber causes constipation only when coupled with inadequate hydration.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/9/15 12:27 am - OH

What he said. ^^^

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/9/15 12:52 am

The solution to constipation is fiber.  Oatmeal has tons; greek yogurt has none.  Fiber causes constipation only when coupled with inadequate hydration.

I do not agree with that.  if a person has a lot motility issue or IBS-C, or SIBO , too much fiber may cause constipation regardless of hydration..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/9/15 12:59 am

Increasing fiber while you constipated my be the wrong thing...

Abstract

AIM: To investigate the effect of reducing dietary fiber on patients with idiopathic constipation.

METHODS: Sixty-three cases of idiopathic constipation presenting between May 2008 and May 2010 were enrolled into the study after colonoscopy excluded an organic cause of the constipation. Patients with previous colon surgery or a medical cause of their constipation were excluded. All patients were given an explanation on the role of fiber in the gastrointestinal tract. They were then asked to go on a no fiber diet for 2 wk. Thereafter, they were asked to reduce the amount of dietary fiber intake to a level that they found acceptable. Dietary fiber intake, symptoms of constipation, difficulty in evacuation of stools, anal bleeding, abdominal bloating or abdominal pain were recorded at 1 and 6 mo.

RESULTS: The median age of the patients (16 male, 47 female) was 47 years (range, 20-80 years). At 6 mo, 41 patients remained on a no fiber diet, 16 on a reduced fiber diet, and 6 resumed their high fiber diet for religious or personal reasons. Patients who stopped or reduced dietary fiber had significant improvement in their symptoms while those who continued on a high fiber diet had no change. Of those who stopped fiber completely, the bowel frequency increased from one motion in 3.75 d (± 1.59 d) to one motion in 1.0 d (± 0.0 d) (P < 0.001); those with reduced fiber intake had increased bowel frequency from a mean of one motion per 4.19 d (± 2.09 d) to one motion per 1.9 d (± 1.21 d) on a reduced fiber diet (P < 0.001); those *****mained on a high fiber diet continued to have a mean of one motion per 6.83 d (± 1.03 d) before and after consultation. For no fiber, reduced fiber and high fiber groups, respectively, symptoms of bloating were present in 0%, 31.3% and 100% (P < 0.001) and straining to pass stools occurred in 0%, 43.8% and 100% (P < 0.001).

CONCLUSION: Idiopathic constipation and its associated symptoms can be effectively reduced by stopping or even lowering the intake of dietary fiber.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/9/15 11:29 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Doingrightin2015
on 4/8/15 6:16 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

Best thing I have found when I have an issue in addition to I take a stool softner daily is to take 2 ducolox tabs. That is what works best for me. I hate the MOM and these work so much better. My surgeon told me I could do that. He also said might want to take Fibercon daily!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

selhard
on 4/8/15 8:32 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

TMI's keep it real, make us not feel alone, and the most important of all, help us try new ideas to fight the constipation woes.  Thanks.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/8/15 9:51 pm

Taking miralax daily works for me.  To much fiber - may be ok, but sometimes that only makes more problem. 

I used to have BM every day and still was way constipated - full of it... The extra fiber caused more pressure and volume, so things were moving but still my gut was full of it...

I reduced fiber, added Miralx and things are moving much better.  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 515 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 361 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?