too much sugar free?

brandycain
on 4/12/15 7:56 am

Hi I'm new here.  I had my surgery on the 7th of April.  I've been on liquid diet for 7 days now.  The first few days were so rough.  I eat sugar free jello and crystal light with my protein powder.  Am I getting to much sugar free? 

-Brandy- 

Surgery April 7th 2015.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/12/15 8:55 am - OH

Well, since there is no established definition of how much is too much, there is no answer to that question.  

It is highly unlikely that you are consuming enough so early out to have too much of anything, though!  Don't worry about it.  Just focus on protein and fluids.

Down the road, when you can eat more, you may find that foods with too many grams of sugar alcohols (the sweeteners used in sugar free foods and drinks) -- or even too many over the course of the entire day -- may give you diarrhea, bloating, intestinal cramping, and/or gas.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

selhard
on 4/12/15 10:24 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I started out using a fair amount of artificial sweeteners, but over time, I have lost interest.  The reason could have something to do with family members detecting artificial sweeteners instantly-- refusing to eat anything with Splenda-type products in it.  Also, my DH finally braved-up enough to tell me he hates my homemade protein smoothies...he "faked it" for almost two years trying to be supportive!  My suggestion is... do what works for now with a goal of eventually either weening yourself from some sugar-free products or naturally losing interest, too. Here's hoping your roughest days are behind you :)

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/13/15 2:56 am

I developed issue with artificial sweeteners. some of teh make me so hungry, others irritate my bladder..(diet soda) .  and too much of splenda -make me itch all over..  

Now the only one i still can tolerate is  Stevia (natural)  and some small amount of saccharine. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

tiredofthediets
on 4/13/15 10:42 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I just had mine on the 23rd and was allowed sugar free jello and crystal light.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 320 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 320 views