Struggling with protein

cheapskate
on 4/13/15 12:58 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

I am 2 weeks out and am really struggling to get my protein in. I am eating ok. I am. Tolerating everything on my list but eggs, just having a hard. Time getting enough protein in.

Looking for any advice. I am having a hard time with shakes, doing ok with water.  

Cooter N.
on 4/13/15 1:18 pm

It will take a while to be able to get it in. I am 2 months out and if I dont do at least one 30g protein shake a day I dont get mine in either. Pretty normal. Just keep plugging away. I bought unflavored protein to add to stuff and help. I dont like it but it does help.

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

Semaenlightened
on 4/13/15 1:31 pm
RNY on 03/25/15

I found it helpful to do a protein shake made with a dannon light and fit greek 80 calorie yogurt and 8 oz of water...that is 20 grams of protein in the powder and 12 in the yogurt...half your protein done and it counts toward your fluids.  I am still doing 1 nectar ice tea protein drink a day...its not thick, I mix it with water...and its 23 grams...its what helps me meet the daily requirement.

oneuppr1
on 4/13/15 2:12 pm

6 months out and getting enough protien is difficult still, all i eat is protein, beef jerky, protein bars from bariatric advantage, eggs, is really all i tolerate perfectly so its the majority of what i eat. sooner or later youll  find what works for you and youll hit your number 

NYMom222
on 4/13/15 4:15 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I always have a protein shake every day. I make sure it is 16oz and about 30g protein so it covers fluids and protein. It is hard in the beginning. If you drink a 30g protein shake and eat 3 more times and get in at least 10g each time you will be at your minimum. 1/2 cup cottage cheese has 15g. those 80 or 100 calorie greek yogurt cups have 12.  My doc suggests soft boiled or poached to start. Things need to be moist.

With the shakes I found esp.in the beginning I needed to change up the flavors or the recipes. In the Premier I add a squirt of SF Chocolate syrup and some instant coffee. At 5 weeks when I couldn't stand any shakes, Click and Fit Frappe came to my rescue in Mocha/coffee flavors. That sustained me for awhile. Experiment add extracts, you can get the Torani or DaVinci syrups or add a little SF pudding powder to them.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ShannonMichelle
on 4/14/15 2:38 am - Canada

Protein problems seem common. I'm just over 8 weeks out and if I don't get a protein drink in then I'm under my goal for the day. Even with protein drinks and eating high protein foods I'm just at my daily goal. I'm hoping it will get easier but at my one month check up my surgeon and dietician didn't seem to worried about my lack of protein intake. All I got was a promise it will get easier :)

Surgery Feb 6th 2015  

slusk6
on 4/15/15 2:42 pm

at walmarts in the area of the protein for muscle building are vials of protein that you can put in water . and it is good and easy to take. there are 2 different ones . one with 24 grams of protein and one with 48 grams of protein.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 254 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views
Recent Topics