Anyone have a distal bypass?

Stephanie G.
on 4/13/15 1:05 pm - Rowlett, TX

I am one week post-op from a revision from a proximal (normal) gastric bypass to a distal bypass and I'm looking for others that can help me in my journey.  I need advise and support but can't find many people that had a distal (malabsorptive) bypass.  I would love to start a a FB group just for us.  If you are interested or know where I can go to find a group specific to my needs, please let me know.  Thanks

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

selhard
on 4/13/15 3:56 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Well, I had to phone to find out if my WLS was the proximal or distal bypass.  The answer was, "your surgeon performs distal."  Well then, apparently there's a whole slough of us here in northern Minnesota that have had a distal bypass.   Now you have me wondering what you mean by needing advice and support...for what...for why?  So much for my family title as, "miss-know-it-all."

Stephanie G.
on 4/14/15 9:42 am - Rowlett, TX

My proximal bypass was no problem to get used to.  The distal gives me stinky gas, diarrhea and overall discomfort with everything I've eaten.  Granted I'm only one week post-op but even my protein drinks are giving me diarrhea and foul gas.  I have started a distal bypass FB group in case anyone would be interested in joining.  I find FB groups much easier to navigate and more specific than OH forums.  for anyone wanting to join use the link or search distal bypass support group.  I would love to have some seasoned people to help and advise me.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/287483018042762/

~Stephanie~

Stephanie G.
on 4/17/15 1:00 am - Rowlett, TX

Distal bypasses are completely different from a proximal gastric bypass as far as what you can and can not eat.  It comes with a lot more malabsorption hence different vitamin requirements, foul gas and frequent stools.  So I was looking for anyone that could help in that regard.  If you have experience with a distal bypass, I'd love it if you would consider joining our FB group as we have questions that the regular bypass people can't answer.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/287483018042762/ is the link or do a FB search for Distal Bypass Support Group.  Thanks!

~Stephanie~

Ladytazz
on 4/13/15 4:33 pm

There are a few things to know about distal surgeries.  They help weight loss because of malabsorption.  Mostly of fats and proteins.  Carbs are absorbed at a higher rate and simple carbs not at all.  

The best way to take advantage of having a distal surgery is to focus on high protein.  Don't worry about how much fat is in things.  I love things like butter, sour cream and CHEESE.  My eating is mainly protein with carbs after I have had my protein quota.  Most distals malabsorb about 50% of the protein they eat, which means that you will need at a minimum about 100 grams or more to stay healthy.

I get in about 100 grams a day and my protein numbers are still at the bottom of the range.

The good news is protein is very filling and should keep you satisfied for a long time.

The most important thing to know, and hopefully your surgeon emphasized this, is that you will also malabsorb vitamins as well, particularly fat soluble vitamins like A, D, E & K, but also other vitamins as well.  You will also need to take a lot of calcium, at least 2,000 mg or more a day, and also you need to take a lot of iron, as well as frequent labs to stay on top of them.

I have osteoporosis despite my calcium intake and have had Reclast infusions, which thankfully helped turn things around.

I also need regular iron infusions because I'm not absorbing enough by just supplementing.

You pretty much have the same supplementing plan as do people with the DS.  You may want to mosey on over there and ask them what they are taking.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

jenorama
on 4/14/15 2:35 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

That is interesting about the distal affecting protein absorption--it stands to reason, but I wasn't aware of it. 

I had my very first bone density scan last week and 18 mos out, my bones haven't eaten themselves yet. I'm glad to hear there is a good treatment to resolve bone density loss as I'm 42 and I expect to be around for a long while yet!

Jen

Ladytazz
on 4/14/15 2:54 am

Good for you on getting the bone scan.  Unfortunately I didn't have my first bone scan until about 4 years out.  It was good to at least have a baseline to compare the subsequent scans to but it would have been nice to have one ever pre surgery and than a few years later to catch any downward trends early.

As it was my first scan was at 4 years out and was already showing osteopenia, which no one bothered to inform me of.  Back then I wasn't very proactive with my health and I assumed everything was fine.

In fact, all my lab results since 2000 are now online and when I look at the labs and tests I had after the first surgery there were many warning signs that had I been aware I could have headed off at the pass but my doctors apparently just glanced at the results and didn't see any flags and told me I was fine.

In the meantime I could see some levels trending downwards at that time.  

Thankfully nothing happened that couldn't be resolved but it took a hell of a lot longer to bring my labs up then it would have had I addressed them earlier.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

NHPOD9
on 4/14/15 9:10 am

I'm so envious of those who have been able to get regular bone scans. My PCP absolutely refuses to order one for me, as she considers it worthless for someone my age (42), even considering I've had WLS.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Stephanie G.
on 4/14/15 9:46 am - Rowlett, TX

Thanks so much for your input.  I used to have a huge amt of support with my proximal bypass but just haven't been able to find anyone that had the revision like I did.  If you would like to mentor others, feel free to join my FB group "Distal bypass support group".  Thanks

~Stephanie~

Stephanie G.
on 4/17/15 1:04 am - Rowlett, TX

Thanks so much for your reply.  I have started a FB group just for those of us with distal bypasses where we can discuss foul gas, vitamins, foods that work and don't work, etc.  We'd love to have you join us.  You can search Distal Bypass Support Group on FB or here is the link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/287483018042762/ Thanks again for your input!

~Stephanie~

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 336 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 472 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 386 views
Recent Topics