Seasonal Allergy Question

joansch
on 4/16/15 1:31 am

Hi, everyone. It's that time of year and my allergies are kicking into high gear. Normally I take OTC Claritin but since it's a 24-hour pill will it work with the bypass? Any suggestions on what I can take instead? I got some Nasacort spray but it doesn't seem to be as effective as the pills.

Thanks!

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/16/15 1:47 am

I take allegra and zyrtec. Yeap - together. Approved by my allergy doc.That combination works best for me... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ladygodiva1228
on 4/16/15 1:58 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Have you ever gone to an allergist to see just what you are allergic to? 

I did over a year ago due to back to back ear infections and found out I am allergic to pretty much everything outside even my horses (not that that stops me from working them).  The allergist talked to me about shots and then also talked to me about sublingual drops specific for my allergies. 

I went with the drops as my insurance would only pay 20% of the shot and they would have been over $400 a month.  Best thing I have ever done.  Not one ear infection, sinus infection, nothing since last February.  The drops for me were $150 for 3 months. 

Other than that I have no experience with OTC allergy meds and the RNY. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

joansch
on 4/16/15 2:06 am

I had testing done years ago -- at lteast 30 years. I was allergic to nearly everything that's green and grown, plus leaf mold and hemp. My allergies have lessened over the years and my reactions isn't nearly as severe as it used to be. But bad enough. At the time shots were about the only thing available and they said I would have to get twice-weekly shots and there was no guarantee that they would work. I passed on the shots and used some prescription nasal spray -- don't even remember what it was called.

Thanks for the suggestion -- it might be worth it to have testing done again. Drug therapy has come a long way in 30 years!

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

Gwen M.
on 4/17/15 10:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Allergies also tend to change every 5 years or so.  

I get shots and they're a life saver for me.  I started out getting them once a week and I can now do 1-2 times a month.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

The Salty Hag
on 4/16/15 2:38 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I take Zyrtec and it seems to do the job. I also piggy back another OTC allergy med called Chlortrimaton along with my Zyrtec. The Chlortrimaton only lasts for 4 hours, but it helps out a lot. It seems to work when nothing else will. One of my friends also told me to try putting saline gel in my nose to block histamines that way, but I haven't tried it. She said it helps out with her daughter's allergies.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/17/15 11:54 am - OH

I take the Claritin and haven't had any trouble with it not being effective long enough, but I also don't think it works for a full 24 hours.  I take it in the morning, and am almost always still in good shape by bedtime, but I wake up every morning all stuffy... So I think it works for like 18 hours instead of 24.

According to the detailed technical information on it, it is a combination immediate release and timed release:

"Fixed-combination tablets formulated for 24-hour dosing contain 10 mg of loratadine in an immediate-release outer shell and 240 mg of pseudoephedrine sulfate in an extended-release matrix core that slowly releases the drug."

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 451 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 410 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404