New calorie counting???

brenda_m
on 4/28/15 11:36 pm - Renick, WV

https://www.yahoo.com/health/do-food-labels-miscount-calorie s-yes-say-some-117610565552.html

Has anyone seen this article on a new way of counting calories? Any thoughts?

Jessca
on 4/29/15 1:17 am
RNY on 04/20/15

I think it's all relative and the exact figures don't really matter. If via the food labels you are eating 1500 calories but 'really' you're only absorbing 1350 it doesn't matter if you are maintaining your weight it's the right amount for you. If you're gaining then regardless if it's 1500 or 1350 it's too much. As longf as the labels aren't blatantly inaccurate then I think it's fine the way it is. 

It it is interesting to think though that someone who was dialed in and maintaining at a certain level of calories could have a change in gut bacteria that causes them to absorb more or less calories from the same amount of food. I think many a people have felt crazy because they couldn't account for weight gain when nothing had changed. So that's good to know.

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

Maria27
on 4/29/15 5:47 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

In my opinion, the real problem is that calorie counting for healthier whole foods (or protein and fiber as the article states) are overestimated, while calorie counts for highly processed foods (foods likely to be low in protein and/or fiber) are not. Our bodies are not able to absorb as many calories from whole natural foods, but processed foods are much more easily broken down so our bodies are able to get every single calorie out of them. The current way of calorie counting leads people reading nutrition labels to the mistaken assumption that certain processed foods are equal in calories to other whole foods. So, even though they are counting every calorie, they may struggle to lose weight because they are not making good food choices. I would support a change that would encourage people to make better food choices.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

brenda_m
on 4/29/15 8:19 am - Renick, WV

I definitely would support that too. I personally watch carbs and sugar. It seems to be the only thing that has helped me lose weight. I stay away for processed foods. It ultimately boils down to being accountable for all foods you put into your body. Especially for those of us who are going thru WLS and trying to live a healthy life.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 198 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics