Carbs.... The evil carbs!

angel91e
on 5/13/15 9:28 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

So I finally reached my goal weight and even have about ten pounds of wiggle room. I really am at a point I don't want to lose anymore weight. However I don't really want to add in any more calories to my diet either. So far I have been eating very very little carbs of any sort and no refined carbs what so ever. I have been limiting myself to about 30 carbs a day and those end up being from things like yogurt, vegetables, or fruit. I haven't played the net carb game and have just considered a carb as a carb and didn't care whether it was fiber or not. 

My question becomes is this a good time to allow myself some extra fiber carbs or even a daily serving of fruit? I am really nervous about adding in calories since my plan has had me at 900-1000 since nine months out. I am really freaked about exceeding that 1000 calorie mark. 

I realize that the sky isn't going to fall or the earth swallow me whole for a 1100 calorie day, but I was prior to surgery a distinct binge eater and I'm really afraid to tempt fate at all.

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

SkinnyScientist
on 5/13/15 11:15 pm

" I haven't played the net carb game and have just considered a carb as a carb and didn't care whether it was fiber or not. 

My question becomes is this a good time to allow myself some extra fiber carbs or even a daily serving of fruit? I am really nervous about adding in calories since my plan has had me at 900-1000 since nine months out. I am really freaked about exceeding that 1000 calorie mark."

-I dont play the net carb game either. I just want to warn you about carbs.  Two days ago I ended up having aphaghan/pakistani food, with some visiting delegates.  The food was purchased. But it was VERY carby with chickpeas (I think...basically some legume) and bread. I did eat some bread. I stayed out of the rice.

I didnt go crazy and I stuck to the prescribed amounts. The poor women were worried I didnt like their cultures food!

Here is what happened.

Skinny went from 138 to 144!

Yep. That bad. One meal was 6 lbs!!

Now, I know a lot of it was probably salt.  Some of it is probably my body going "Bread! Bread!  I havent seen you in 1.5 years!  I am keeping you!  You are THE PRECIOUS!!!"

I went back to eating what I usually eat and I already down to 142 lbs.  But damn.  WTH?

So...that is my experience.

Keep and eye on those carbs...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

chulbert
on 5/14/15 12:36 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

It was almost certainly water retention due to sodium and glycogen.  If you're typically a low-carb eater you go through life with essentially no energy stored in the form of glycogen in your muscles, which is the first to burn and the first to be replenished from carbohydrates.  It has a lot of associated water weight with it and it's primary reason the first week or two of any diet is so successful.  Unfortunately when you fill up the tank you also put tha****er weight back on.

It's a short-term fluctuation but it's not fat.  It is literally impossible for your body to produce six pounds of fat from one meal.  There's simply not enough material.  It's unlikely a single meal can even cause one pound of fat gain.

SkinnyScientist
on 5/15/15 4:22 am

I agree totally with this...provided one is hormonally normal person.  Alas, I am not.

But it does give me comfort to know where part of it is coming from. I just cant keep eating high carb all the time or otherwise, I am getting dark patches of skin on my neck and getting chest and chin hair.

Yep..it happened to ME.  Lasering it all off after things stabilized is another reason why I am in a bit of debt.

So for people with PCOS, it really does work better to keep the carbs down.

This post makes me not "freak out" about the 6 lbs weight gain.

Chulbert...I really like you and your posts!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/15/15 8:43 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Did you eat 6lb of bread?

If not, the weight gain was not because of the bread.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

SkinnyScientist
on 5/15/15 11:12 am

what do you propose it is?

angel91e
on 5/13/15 11:48 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

Holy snikee!!! I so am not looking to do that. Maybe I will just be happy with what has been working so far. I know my body would probably be just as sensitive. The last thing I need is to start getting use to big swings on the scale. It might lead me down that dangerous path of dismissing weight gains. Since right now I'm of the mindset that no amount of weight gain over a pound one direction or the other is acceptable. Especially with as petite as I am six pounds for me would have me up a full dress size. I appreciate the cautionary words

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

SkinnyScientist
on 5/14/15 5:52 am

I have PCOS...so when my body "sees" a high GI carb, it goes nuts.

I used to be able to gain weight off of WATERMELON prior to WLS. Peaches too.  And we arent talking eating the whole melon either. It was just a piece for dinner for dessert. I even calculated the points for it in WW and accounted for tha****ermelon.

That is how my brilliant NP (who actually spends TIME with her patients) knew something was really really wrong.

auntmimi
on 5/14/15 6:22 am

Skinny Scientist- I too suffer from PCOS and from carb sensitivity! It sucks! I try to keep my carbs low, even eating beans or fruit in moderation I also have tendency to gain!! 

SkinnyScientist
on 5/13/15 11:57 pm, edited 5/13/15 11:57 pm

auntmimi- I am so glad you are here! Most metabolically normal people do not believe me when I gain crazy amounts of weight off of just a few carbs (or a meal of them).  I believe they think I am hiding somewhere, chowing down on candy bars! 

Other times, they tell me "just a bit of ___" cant hurt.

Yes!  It really can!

There is another nice gal on here that also has to watch her carbs.

Thanks for being here and "knowing" what i am talking about. Sometimes, I feel alone.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views