RNY or Sleeve??...Confused

CazR
on 5/20/15 5:56 pm - Canada

I need advice ..I have just been to Doc about getting surgery and I would like advice about whether I should go for sleeve or rny, is it our choice which one to have? I am 50 yrs old, 5 foot 5. and weigh 245...I would value and appreciate any advice at this point...so confused.

Thanks !!

mornings
on 5/20/15 2:35 pm - Canada

well I think its a hard choice  for anyone but I will say  in my case  I too am 50 yrs old   had a gastric sleeve done 2 yrs ago and now im having the bypass  next week  .... for me personality  I was 251 and lost 30 lbs only   then it creeped back up  on me  so  this was my choice based on  the benefits for me but  not everyone is alike  my son had a sleeve and  wow he dropped every pound of his ,     i would say just speak to your doctor as they usually  direct you into what they think is best and  maybe  do  some homework on the choices you decide to get more info in what  the difference is in  surgeries ,,   best of luck im sure you will do fine in any surgery  you decide

CazR
on 5/21/15 4:24 pm - Canada

Oh my!!  Good luck hun...I wish you all the best!!

JA
on 5/21/15 4:55 am - East Haven, CT

Studies indicate that RNY has the best results with the longest success rate.  Keep in mind that any of these surgeries are not a cure for obesity, they are a "tool" to assist in weight loss.  This is a lifetime deal.  Good luck!  I wish you great success.

JA

RNY 7/21/2004 -100 lbs forever

selhard
on 5/21/15 4:56 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Answer: not sure because the type I hoped for matched the surgeon's recommendation.  How about make a call and ask?  Advice:  1. make a list of questions as you research the two types  2.  ask for the doctor's professional recommendation and why  3.  then, ask the doctor your list of questions  4.  if the recommendation doesn't match, discuss it in depth with him/her, and say you need time to think it over  5.  if the doc says it's your choice, you'll probably pick up on cues what s/he is thinking  6. if the recommendation matches, go with that one.

CazR
on 5/21/15 4:28 pm - Canada

Thank you so much :)   Forums are sooo great!!

killinmesmalls77
on 5/21/15 7:17 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

Definitely talk to your doctor. They'll be able to help you determine what is best for you and your body. I had RNY on 5/7 and I chose that because I had bad heartburn that was the best option for me.  With the sleeve, heartburn doesn't always go away and it can actually get worse according to my doctors and research that I have done.

Great job on taking the first step and reaching out to people. Research and talking with others and your doctor are the best places to start. 

Best wishes on your journey. 

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

CazR
on 5/21/15 4:25 pm - Canada

Thx Hun...and how was it...how you doing and feeling now? :)

Mary Gee
on 5/22/15 1:36 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

You don't have to make the decision right away - you usually meet with the surgeon when you've completed all the pre-op steps and they are ready to schedule you for surgery.  The doctor will recommend what he feels is best and explain his reasons, but the final decision is up to you.

So, keep reading -- you'll learn the pros and cons to each surgery as you continue your journey.  I originally planned on the bypass, but as I learned more, I decided on the sleeve.  Main reason for my choice was with the sleeve I can take various pain medications, and I have chronic pain.

Whichever choice you make, I'm sure you'll be successful as long as you follow your surgeon's eating plan.  Remember, the surgery is a tool - your success is determined by how well you use your new tool.

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Seyenna
on 5/24/15 3:02 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

OP is in Canada, and if he/she is in Ontario and under OHIP then they usually do got get a choice (unless there's a medical reason to require one over the other)

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404