goal at one year out!

nhowe61
on 6/4/15 7:20 am

I went to my one year appt. and the doctor was thrilled that i had lost 140 lbs and said i should lose another 20 lbs and stay there but i was confused that would only take me to 190 - 200 and i'm only 5'3'' tall. He said the amount i lost was massive and not to have unreasonable expectations. I have no trouble maintaining my weight but feel i should continue to lose slowly to around 150 i would be confortable right there. I wear a 16 right now which is great when i started out at a 30 and i never want to be a size 5 but need advise on what other surgeons have said.thank you!

Ashley in Belgium
on 6/4/15 7:31 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

No reason for you not to get where you want to be.  If you are maintaining your current weight with your current calorie intake then you will need to reduce your calories to get yourself out of maintenance.  Plenty of RNYers here on the board have lost large amounts of weight so you for sure get to 150 if you work hard for it. You just need to stick to your plan and work it until you reach your new goal and can stay there. 

Good luck and congrats on your 1 year post-op!  You've done great!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

avivaps
on 6/4/15 7:53 am
RNY on 02/28/12

I think it's more than ok to strive for more but suspect he just wants to keep expectations reasonable.  Too many people end up feeling like a failure if the don't get to some arbitrary goal or expectation.  From a HEALTH perspective you are at GOAL!!!  If you are motivated to keep working and drop more then go for it but remember....this is a LIFELONG process.  The first year or so is the easy part (and that ain't always easy).  Work the lifestyle changes, work the head issues, find and foster amazing supports.  Once you hit year 2 and beyond the challenges may change and you will be glad you didn't only focus on getting the numbers down.

Keep up the fantastic work.  What an accomplishment you have achieved so far.

Andrea.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

nhowe61
on 6/6/15 5:53 am

I have gone back to my regular eating ways on the diet and have lost 5 lbs I am going to continue until it levels out and then will probably maintain there i expect that will be around 150. I have had problems with pancreatitis and the diets dont always match but i am handling it and succeeding! Thank you all for the words of advise.

Laura in Texas
on 6/6/15 6:43 am

My surgeon does not give goal weights. He wants us to get under a BMI of 30, but after that, it is up to us. I have lost and maintained my 200 pound loss. Maintenance is much harder than losing but it is possible. Stick to your plan and keep losing until you are where you want to be. Then fight like hell to stay there.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

nhowe61
on 6/8/15 6:43 am

Thank you for the advice. I went back on my protein shakes and diet plan and have lost 5 lbs in the last week and will continue to do so until i am where i want to be. I'm not so worried about the weight number as i am just feeling good so i'll keep going for a while.Again thank you

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 526 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 326 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 3 replies · 15 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?