Feeling sick daily

shilo357
on 6/11/15 12:56 pm

I'm a month post-op and I swear I feel sick to my stomach every other day no matter what I eat or drink. They have me taking Zofran every three PRN but it don't work. Do any body have any ideas to help with my problem. Please help.  

Doingrightin2015
on 6/11/15 1:13 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

what are you eating and drinking now?

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

shilo357
on 6/11/15 4:08 pm

I only drink water and mainly eat soups and jello almost everything else don't sit right on my stomach.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/11/15 1:23 pm

I had nausea daily for a very long time.  Specially in the morning. 

what eventually helped me was:

• drink more water...(dehydration causes nausea) any way any form my body can tolerate.
  • hot teas first thing in the morning - typically I woudl drink lots of ginger teas... throughout the day..(cold  water, or ice cold water would send waves of nausea, but that was the only thing that worked for my friend)
  • not eating a lot until later during the day. - drinking - and taking it slow... even though I did not feel full - my body "full signal" was nausea. I learned to drink protein drinks 1-2 oz at a time. wait 10-15 min, drink some more. Drinking more than that - always resulted in nausea. 
  • PPI - I had to take them for a few years post op. 

Even now - I often don't eat "food" until lunch time. My pouch still needs time to "wake up". I do drink a lot of warm drinks (even during summer) but they are very warm (not very hot) and most of my drinks are either warm or room temperature... I may drink cold drinks - if it is very hot, but only in afternoon, late evening... pouch trained me well... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

rocky513
on 6/11/15 6:57 am, edited 6/11/15 6:58 am - WI

Check your protein drinks to see if they contain lactose.  You may have become lactose intolerant.  If your protein contains whey concentrate in the ingredients, it contains lactose.  Whey isolate is 99% lactose free.  You can mix whey isolate powders with water, almond milk, soy milk, or cashew milk.  Most people with lactose intolerance can still eat Greek yogurt and cheese but milk gives them problems with nausea, diarrhea, and gas.

Also make sure you are eating very tiny bites and chewing your food to apple sauce consistency.  Eating bites that are too big and not chewing will can cause nausea.

Are you drinking at least 64 ounces of fluid daily?  Dehydration can cause nausea too.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

shilo357
on 6/11/15 4:10 pm

I don't have any problems with dairy I usually drink milk to help settle my stomach 

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/15 1:57 pm

I am sorry you are not feeling well. I had an icky stomach for a while but it did pass. I have post nasal drip bad sometimes and that makes me sick to my stomach. 

I hope you feel better. H.A.L.A had some good advice. 

LeslieT
on 6/11/15 3:33 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 05/22/15

Does your stomach feel acidic? The first week after surgery, I was having constant nausea because the PPI (proton pump inhibitor that treats re-flux and excess acid) wasn't working for me. I switched from prevacid to nexium and it got better

Highest: 250 - 30 pounds lost pre-op - Surgery Weight: 220 Current: 156 Goal: 145

shilo357
on 6/11/15 4:12 pm

I haven't had any problems with acid since I had my surgery and I take Prilosec twice a day

ShebasMom
on 6/12/15 9:48 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

You may need to change your PPI. Prescription Nexium is stronger than Prilosec.  (I've taken it twice a day for presumed ulcer)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 382 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 272 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics