Tracking protein/measuring food

cheapskate
on 6/13/15 6:56 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

Since I am finally starting to tolerate more foods I am not sure exactly how to measure protein and food amounts. 

I need some direction.

Say i make a crockpot. Meal. Creammof chicken, chicken, broccoli and gravy. I can figure out the nutritional information easy. But I am going to be just eating the chicken with a little of the sauce. Do I just measure the chicken in ounces and figure the protein that way?

Up until yesterday my choices were limited but yesterday and today I can definitely see an upswing in my tolerance of dense meat.  

SkinnyScientist
on 6/13/15 7:43 pm

HI!

My surgeon and nut had me use volume (i.e. cups). However, I was not given a protein goal (in grams) like most people.

I think it would be easier just to weigh the protein/chicken and figure it out that way since you dont have much sauce.  I am not sure how the broccoli fits in (is it pureed/mashed in the sauce)?  If it is in the bit of sauce. Still measure.  If it is seperate and you have a volume you must not exceed (i.e. quarter cup, I would weigh chicken then get its volume THEN  fill the remaining volume with broccoli).

I know it sounds hard now, but it will be second nature in just a month or two.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

The Salty Hag
on 6/13/15 8:09 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Some people weigh their protein on a food scale, some measure by volume. 

I'm two years out. My plan calls for measuring the volume. Per my dietician, I am now allowed to eat 1/2 cup of protein and 1/2 cup of veggies per meal. I'll eat 1/2 cup protein, but leave the veggies at 1/4 cup.

I'd started weighing my food the last few months-was eating 4 oz of protein per meal...and was eating too much. ( that coupled with letting bad carbs creep back in resulted in a regain ) I went back to measuring by volume. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

SkinnyScientist
on 6/14/15 2:21 pm

I am glad you stopped the regain!

I did my best to stay on track on my honeymoon but when I got off that ship and weighed myself.  Yikes. It took WEEKS (like 3 or 4) to lose what flew on in a week.

On carbs creepy in. Groomy is diabetic.  He needs some carbs.  He has some bread.  There are days when I stare so enviously at him wishing so bad for a piece of toast, PB and honey. Like..that is dream dessert now.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 531 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 213 views