Meds for Knee pain?

diane48
on 6/20/15 9:25 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

I have been having a lot of  knee pain and it may be time coming up for surgery.  Too many years of too much weight on my knees!  In the past when I had knee problems I would take Advil around the clock and I can't do that now.  Tylenol just isn't cutting it.  Ive had to cut back on walking since it hurts so much.  I had x rays and will  be seeing my Dr. the week after next.  Any suggestions?

MickeyDee
on 6/20/15 9:39 pm

Can you get some Lortab?  That's codeine w/Tylenol, in a liquid form, which was the only thing that helped before my double TKRs.  There's also an NSAIDS get, but it's not a good idea to use it as much as would be needed for knee pain.

My post-op meds were hydrocodeine 15 mg as needed, but the availability was limited as there is a concern about addiction for users.

Good luck in your surgery;  you'll be so much happier when its done.  Don't forget to do the post-op physical therapy because it really helps!

diane48
on 6/20/15 10:51 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

Thanks.  I have been taking a half of a Vicodin when it's real bad but don't have many of those and trying to make them last until I see the Dr. again.  Going on vacation in the Sierras and don't think I can hike much.

Missella20
on 6/21/15 5:01 am
RNY on 07/11/13

I have had cortisone shots in my knee that have helped in the past. My dr. Said I had bursitis. The shots worked and the pain went away for a couple of years. And I try very hard not to aggravate it by not kneeling on the knee ever! Is it arthritis, bursitis, or do you need it replaced?

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

diane48
on 6/21/15 8:07 am
RNY on 05/07/13

I think it is arthritis and the xray looked like there were parts that were bone on bone.  I've had an arthroscopy on the other knee before and it doesn't feel like that. 

Racewalker48
on 6/21/15 9:09 am
RNY on 02/17/14

If your knees are bone on bone, you can relieve the pain with stronger pain meds like tramadol or even narcotic analgesics.  Steroid or hyaluronic acid injections may help too.  

I was in your position last year and the only thing that relieved my pain was to have my knees replaced.  It's major surgery, and it was worth it for me.  No more knee pain, and I have lost weight so hope to hold on to these new knees for as long as possible.  

Perhaps it's time to see your orthopaedic surgeon to get a thorough evaluation of your knees and additional options for pain relief.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/21/15 9:56 pm - OH

Before I had my knees replaced, I was taking Tramadol and then Vicodin for the days when the Tramadol wasn't enough (because Tylenol is useless for severe arthritis).

You may also want to investigate getting Synvisc (or other similar products from different manufacturers) injections.  My ortho surgeon used Synvisc because it is a single injection in each knee instead of two or three. It essentially turns into a gel-like substance that cushions the joint, replacing the natural fluid and cushioning you have lost.  I found that the Synvisc helped both knees the first time, but after that it didn't really help my worst knee very much (but it was better than nothing).  You get the injections every six months.  That and the cortisone injections kept me going for several years before I gave up and had the knees replaced.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

diane48
on 6/21/15 11:19 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

The xrays were the first step for the referral to an orthopedist.  I will ask for something stronger when I see my PMD July2.  The Orthopedic surgeon I would like to see has about a 4 month waiting list.  So, we will see.  

diane48
on 6/21/15 11:21 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

How long was your recovery from your total knees?

jayner
on 6/22/15 6:53 am, edited 6/22/15 6:53 am - Littleton, MA

I had arthritis in my knees, with one much worse than the other. I went to my surgical center and had injections of Orthovisc into my knee, weekly for three weeks. It supposedly last for about six months, but my injections were about ten years ago and my knee is still doing well.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 353 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?