Blood sugar question for diabetics.

radze09
on 8/8/15 8:10 am
RNY on 06/08/15

Ok, so I am 8 weeks out from surgery. I get about 10 to a max of 15 carbs a day. Between my chewables and greek yogurt and cottage there is close to 15 carbs. So low carb, but I dont eat the yogurt and cottage everyday or always on the same day. Anyhows, my blood sugar is still above normal. 140 to 155. I was on metformin and glyburide before surgery. Now I am on nothing. The metformin causes tummy troubles if you get my drift and the glyburide without enough carbs drops my sugar to low and causes all sorts of bad effects. When does our diet start working for the blood sugar?? I am afraid to start a new med because of the possible low sugar. I will be seeing my PCP next week. Any thoughts, should I go lower with my carbs?? My A1C is due the end of the month. I am a type 2 diabetic.

Nerdy_girl
on 8/8/15 8:36 am - MD

I'm not diabetic, but FWIW, my NUT says not to go below 30 carbs per day.  Your body needs a baseline level of carbs -- and 30 is still really low.  Perhaps your carbs are too low.  Based solely on what you said, perhaps increasing you carbs would allow your meds to work better?  Talk to your NUT and your PCP about options. 

HW: 417 | 2003 RNY: 138 loss | 2015 Revision SW: 279

CGCL
on 8/8/15 9:11 am
RNY on 02/19/15

My BS slowly went down, about ten points a week. By six weeks out fasting was consistently in the 80s. I had lost about 50 lbs by that point, and stopped taking all diabetes mess three days before surgery. Have you spoken to your PCP about your levels? Are they waiting for your appt next week? They seem to still be high :(. 

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/15 4:51 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

At my highest weight, I was on 1500mg of metformin ER, 300mg of Invokana, 10mg of glipizide twice a day, and weekly Bydureon injections. I was down to just the metformin before surgery, which I couldn't resume afterwards because the ER couldn't be crushed and I can't tolerate the immediate release (for the exact troubles you mentioned). My blood sugars were high for the first 3-4 weeks, which my surgeon said was just due to the stress on my body (my BP shot up too when I'd been able to get off all BP meds before surgery). My fasting numbers were still over 100 for the first few months though. My surgery was 3 months ago, and my morning BS has just recently started dropping into the 80s and 90s. I suspect I wasn't spiking right after surgery though because my A1c 7 weeks post-op was 5.6. I do a modified low-carb diet -- protein first, and I don't avoid carbs, but I make sure they come as much as possible from fiber and whole grains. I also haven't tried bread or pasta again since surgery and plan to hold off as long as possible.

My husband was on metformin and glipizide before his VSG, and even though the sleeve isn't a metabolic surgery in the way the RNY is, he had to stop the glipizide right after surgery because he was crashing big time just from his reduced intake.

Talk to your doctor if you're worried -- my endocrinologist said if I still needed meds after surgery (which she suspected would be temporary), she'd put me back on just the Invokana. It's a new class of drug that dropped my fasting blood sugars by over 100 points by the second day I was on it, but it never made me crash like the glipizide did. It also has the nice side effect of weight loss, which I'm sure is part of why I was able to lose so much pre-op.

Loveandlafs
on 8/9/15 6:04 am

I am a Type II Diabetic, my gastric bypass was 4/1/15.  I have lost 65lbs total so far.  I am on an insulin pump.  As you lose weight, your need for medication for your Diabetes will continue to diminish.  I have had to reduce my insulin amounts the more weight I lose.  I am hoping to be able to get off the pump completely....what a lifestyle change that will be!!!  Congratulations on your reduced medications already!!!

radze09
on 8/9/15 6:59 am
RNY on 06/08/15

Thank you guys, the meds were stopped right before surgery because of the surgery. I didn't see my PCP right after surgery because I knew my levels would be higher due to surgery and stress. That didn't worry me, been there done that before. But I guess I thought 8 weeks out it would be coming down. I don't like the new drugs, the side effects from what I have seen , is not something I want to worry about. UTI's, dehydration, not being able to empty bladder all the way, low potassium, sodium. Hopefully doc can find something older that we can use temporary. Fingers crossed!!

bthaggard
on 8/9/15 7:18 am
RNY on 06/15/15

I have type 2 diabetes. I was taking  500 mg metformin 2x day. After surgery my surgeon  had me to take it once a day and my levels are 90 to 110. Have appointment with pcp end of month.

In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can.

inkysgrl
on 8/10/15 5:39 am

I am a little over 8 months post op. I was on insulin 4 times a day. A week after surgery I stopped all meds. It took me to about 8 months for my fasting to get below 100. I am now btwn 75-92 everymorning. Everyone is different. Your body is pulling the sugar from your body that has been stored over the years. Jus****ch what you eat (which i know you are), and be patient.

Best of luck

radze09
on 8/10/15 2:55 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

Thanks Inky! Makes me feel better about it!! 😀

inkysgrl
on 8/13/15 6:35 am

Your Welcome!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?