Anyone Else Having Surgery Next Week? Anyone Post-Surgery Have Advice for Someone Just a...

delprov
on 8/17/15 7:26 am - Johnston, RI

I'm seeking comrads going through the same roller coaster of emotions that is their upcoming surgery. Maybe we can share our stories, hopes and concerns to help support each other and not feel quite so alone?

I'm also seeking those who've been through it whether it was yesterday or ten years ago for your advice, knowledge and tips on what you did or would have done differently...

Surgery date is August 26! JUST 9 DAYS AWAY!!!!

peachpie
on 8/17/15 8:19 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Going into surgery I was not the least bit nervous-- I was confident. I knew what I was doing, why and had every confidence in my doctor. Surgery was routine, recovery was typical (and that varies!!). Picked up a upper respiratory infection 4 weeks out-- oh man that cough was *painful!* (Its all good now though). My family was & is awesome support. 

I'm almost 4 months post ops: Things I'm glad I did:

Surgery while the kids were still in school. Allowed me to focus totally on my during the day-- and SLEEP!! 

Kept a notebook where I wrote down my pain level/medicine/fluid intake for the first two weeks. Made it easy for the doctor to see what was going on in the post op visit. After the two weeks I use an app on my phone for reminder about vitamins-- it helps with spacing them out properly too.

Bought my chicken broth from Au bon pain and stored in small 4 oz containers. Tasted FAR better than canned. Had hubby buy me soup from Panera when i reached the full liquid stage. 

Started start C25K. I found a form of exercise I love. 

That's all I can think of-- best wishes for you!!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

rainidai
on 8/17/15 5:33 pm

good idea about keeping track of everything for the doctor to see!

Kerrie M.
on 8/17/15 8:20 am
RNY on 08/24/15

I am having RNY surgery  August 24th, 2015.  Overwhelmed with emotions Head hunger is crazy!  I think I cried a couple times over food now. I am super excited for the surgery, but am also very nervous.  Looking forward to the weight loss.  

miss_moneypenny
on 8/17/15 11:31 am

For me personally, surgery was the easy part!  I don't think I was mentally or physically prepared for the immediate aftermath.  I have NOregrets, but would recommend being kind to yourself and allow yourself time to adjust.  Obviously there are going to be alot of "criteria" you will try to follow immediately following surgery, but start with baby steps and do not pressure yourself to do all at once.  You are still in the healing stages and will not have room in your belly for all the grams of protein and fluids that are best case scenario.  I am a month out today and just in last day have felt even remotely "normal" or good.  Still experiencing fatigue and stress over trying to get in all my protein and fluids, but oooh sooo much easier than first few days/weeks.  BE PATIENT...I have really come to appreciate this forum for tips and advice, it's becoming my bible!  Oh, and popsicles have been my best friend....

Good luck on your journey and wishing you nothing but success.

Jenn77p
on 8/17/15 11:52 am
RNY on 08/07/15

I am just starting my second week post surgery. Hospital tip. Walk walk walk to relieve gas pains. I walked every hour while awake. Very tiny sips at first. My very first sips were to big, I was so full!!!  At home rest, sleep, drink, walk. I got a good book and read to keep my mind occupied. Warm tea helped. Listen to your body. Stop if full. Gas pains will last 2-3 days. Don't panic. 

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted. 

Jenn 77 p

delprov
on 8/17/15 7:48 pm - Johnston, RI

Congratulations on surgery! I definitely intend to walk as much as I can. Luckily, I'm in school for nursing so I've recently learned so much about the importance of moving around post-surgery with RNY. I am trying to practice taking small sips because I am an absolute gulper. I love water and will drink an entire bottle without stopping for air and I know that won't fly anymore and likely never again. I'm glad I know now that gas pains last that long. It's so easy to mistake gas pains for something more serious.

gracie88
on 8/17/15 12:14 pm
RNY on 08/26/15

I'm having surgery the same day!  I was positive that insurance would deny me and found out today that I was approved.  I'm in disbelief!

Seminar Sept 2014 - 221

First 6 month weigh in - November 2013 - 220

Surgery Day 8/26/15 - 199

Current Weight (9/1/16) 128.0  RNY  5' 2"

delprov
on 8/17/15 7:43 pm - Johnston, RI

Congratulations! That's amazing!! It must have been so stressful not knowing whether or not it would be approved! I'm so happy for you! We're surgery twins!! How are you doing with the liquid diet?

gracie88
on 8/18/15 3:00 am
RNY on 08/26/15

My surgeon doesn't do a liquid diet ahead of surgery just the day before after breakfast. He has me following south beach diet and back to stage 1 with no carbs.  So excited!  Can't believe it's almost here. 

Seminar Sept 2014 - 221

First 6 month weigh in - November 2013 - 220

Surgery Day 8/26/15 - 199

Current Weight (9/1/16) 128.0  RNY  5' 2"

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 335 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?