In Hospital Recovering from Surgery- Question about Pain

delprov
on 8/26/15 11:25 pm - Johnston, RI

I am in the hospital recovering from RNY. My surgery was about 14 hours ago. Coming out of surgery, my pain was very minimal. I was able to sup right away and walk around, make phone calls, etc. Then, once anesthesia wore off, the real pain hut I expected pain, but mot this... not at all. I asked for meds and was given them . 2 mg of Morphine. I waited and nothing. I c.f. allied the nurse and she reluctantly gave me 2 more mg. I had about an hour of relief until the pain was torally back. I asked for more and was told no more meds for 3 hours. I suffered, crying and begging to no avail. When it was time for more meds I was given 4mg on thw first injection, again an hour of minimal pain but as soon as it wore off it was back to awful pain. I was given some to "support" the morphine and it worked for about a half hour. Then I was given liquid Tylenol which did nothing. Now I had a nurse change (thank God because my nurse was just careless). New nurse gave me something that she says was "10 times stronger". That was an hour ago. She just checked in with me and I said my pain was Stoll prrtty bad. She asked if I'd slept at all and I said No. She asked if I usually have trouble sleeping. I told her never. She gave me something else and said that if I don't experience relief in a half hour to tell her. I appreciate that she so much more willing to help me than the ladt nurse but is this normal? Did others experience very intense pain? I'm wondering if it's because I'm much bigger than other patients. The woman next to me got the same amount and she eeifhs half of what I do. Wouldn't a bigger person need more meds? Please somekne give their advice. I apologize for the length if this and for spelling and auto correct mess ups. I am just too tired and drained to reread it at the moment and I wanted to be thurough.

Thanks in advance

MickeyDee
on 8/27/15 12:08 am

I've never heard of anyone having such intense and immediate pain post-op.  Please demand to see your surgeon.

You should never be in this much pain.

alma_olson
on 8/27/15 3:11 am
RNY on 08/18/15

I have to say that I had minor pain. The hospital where I was gave Toradol every 12 hours by IV.  It's an anti-inflammatory. It must have worked well.  Sorry you are having such bad pain.  Hope it gets better.

delprov
on 8/27/15 4:27 am - Johnston, RI

UPDATE: I texted my mom about my problem right after I posted this (she is about 2 years out of her surgery) and her first question was about how I was laying and I told her I was sitting up to sleep because that's what I do at home. She told me that was my problem and said to lay back. I instantly felt about 60% less pain. I was actually able to sleep for a few hours and now I'm in pain but only about a 6 whereas last night I was 9 and 10 for the majority of the night...

Please keep this in mind if you are pre-op. The position you sleep in really can make a huge difference and not every nurse is going to recognize this. 

Rhank you all for your input!!

karenp8
on 8/27/15 6:05 am - Brighton, IL

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Thanks for the update and for the helpful tip for preops.

Karen R.
on 8/27/15 6:19 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Hi-sorry to hear about all your discomfort; I think we larger ladies have more tissue for the surgeon to cut through to get to the area he needs to, so I would think more pain. Also, depending upon how much scar tissue and adhesions he has to clean up, again more pain. Each person is different and comparing one another is only marginally helpful. My pain tolerance in my younger years was better than it is now. With all this said, I agree with the others, reposition yourself, keep taking your pain meds and the pain med booster, then talk to your MD.

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/15 6:31 am

I would demand that they talk to your surgeon. I know it is painful but if nothing is helping your doctor needs to be called. 

iloveravens
on 8/27/15 7:38 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Well I hope you get relief soon.  The only time I felt real pain was after 4 hours of no Dilaudid in the hospital.  Most of the nursing staff was good about coming in and keeping me ahead of the pain.  I agree with the others - ask to speak with surgeon.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Kathyjs
on 8/28/15 6:31 am

My surgery was open and very painful. Hope you feel better soon

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 234 views