Kind of a Goofy Question About Brains and Surgery

LadyBaltimore
on 9/1/15 6:54 am
RNY on 07/27/15

I might be the only one, but thought I'd throw this out there.  

Since my surgery, I've felt like my mind has been running slower than usual, I'm having trouble finding words, and everyday common sense seems to have left me.   Has anyone had this issue before?

I know that I was told the anesthesia would take a couple of weeks to leave my system, so to relax about that.  (My surgery did have some complications-  They discovered a lot of extra fat in my midsection that they had to work around and for some reason my heart rate was elevated, so I was under for over five hours rather than the much shorter intended one.)  That said, it's been just over a month, and I still seem to be working and thinking at a much slower pace.

I've had some other bizarre side effects that my GP says is just my body adjusting to this kind of trauma.  We did a blood panel, and all my electrolytes and vitamins are right in the healthy range. I'm getting all my protein and rarely go a day without getting all my H2O.  Could it just be that my brain is checking out on vacation, giving energy to the rest of my body while it adjusts?

Anyone else with thoughts on this or experiences similar to this, please feel free to respond-  

My fall semester is starting, and I'm taking neuroanatomy, language pathology, and health psychology, so I kind of need all my brain cells back!  

Flowers for Algernon,

-LB

I've Come Too Far To Take Orders From A Piece of Bread.

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

Maria27
on 9/1/15 7:02 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

What medications are you taking? It sounds like it could be a side effect of something. 

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

LadyBaltimore
on 9/1/15 7:05 am
RNY on 07/27/15

Thank you, Maria27-  The meds would not have occurred to me.  I'm taking all the same meds I used to-  fluoxetine (SSRI), buproprion (SSRI), and the occasional valium for anxiety.  I've been on these for years, and none of my doctors have suggested adjusting the dosage.  I'll bring it up with my surgeon again, just in case.  

The more you know,

-LB

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/1/15 7:08 am - OH

Yes, it is possible it is still from the anesthesia and/or pain meds, but it is also possible it is from your body struggling to adjust to what it perceives as not enough nutrients, especially carbs. (Decreased short term memory and other mental sluggishness is a very common side effect of very low carb diets).

No matter what the cause, it will likely pass. I hope it passes quickly so you can focus on your classes!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

LadyBaltimore
on 9/1/15 9:30 am
RNY on 07/27/15

Hi ****rogirl,

I'd never thought of that.  My diet was very heavy in carbs prior to surgery, so that could very well be it.  I'll definitely ask my doctor.  

Thank you for the good wishes on the classes!  The irony is that I'm studying to be a neuropsychologist, so this kind of thing is right up my alley, except for when my brain's too tired to grasp it!  LOL

My brain, the little engine that could,

-LB

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

Karen R.
on 9/1/15 11:49 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

WOW, I am feeling like this on my pre-op diet and thought I was being a wimp. 

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

Stacy C.
on 9/1/15 10:03 am

I know just how you feel. I felt the same way for about a month and a half. It felt like just one day things started clicking again for me. I'm sure with you starting school the need for your brain to refocus will help. Make sure you are getting lost of rest too. You just had major surgery and your body needs time to recover from that. Take it eazy a much as you can, you'll get there and your brain will catch up! Good luck!

LadyBaltimore
on 9/1/15 10:10 am
RNY on 07/27/15

Thank you so much, Stacy C.-  That helps to know I'm not the only one going through it.  I'm glad yours cleared up, and I'm crossing my fingers mine will do the same soon, too!

If I only had a brain,

-LB

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

newchris1
on 9/1/15 11:55 am
with

Some medications need to be adjusted after surgery.  I think you are taking Wellbutrin.  My psychiatrist had to adjust my meds so that instead of one extended release pill, I now take 3 immediate release pills.  My surgeon never said anything about it.  You might want to take a look at that.  Just a suggestion.

LadyBaltimore
on 9/1/15 11:57 am
RNY on 07/27/15

Thanks newschris1,

I'll certainly bring it up with my psychiatrist if my surgeon doesn't have any suggestions!

The more you know,

-LB

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 376 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 467 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 381 views