Having RNY in two weeks

chrissylyn
on 9/4/15 5:44 am

hello all, I will be having RNY in a couple weeks. Of course I am very nervous and scared. Been overweight for a long, long time. Have health issues as well. Have been looking into this surgery since 2005 researching and finally where I am in my life decided to go with it. I see though I have been reading quite a bit of posts where people have been having some really bad issues. I know we're all different but it seems to be common. Vomiting, ulcers, not able to eat and so forth. I thought as time goes on and with the advancement of procedures and medicine things improve?

Karen R.
on 9/4/15 6:02 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

My surgery is soon also, I have decided that there has been great advancements in bariatric surgery over the years, yes there are complications, but those are very low. IMHO, we take notice of the worst case scenarios when we are researching in hopes these things won't happen to us. What we have to remember is the large number of surgeries done on a daily basis with no complications.  Lots of people that go through the process and are satisfied with their outcomes. 

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

SkinnyScientist
on 9/4/15 6:07 am

HI!

First, I want to tell you is that I am TWO years post op and I was scared too.  So scared, in fact, that in 10 years I did the WHOLE process THREE times before I finally let myself be wheeled through those surgery doors. So I "needlessly" did the psych exams, 6 month groups/training, TWICE without it bearing fruit.

During my 10 years of trying to work up the nerve to see the surgery through, I spent over 2-3K on diets that did not work. I ruined my back and needed back surgery from multiple microtraumas I strongly suspect was from hauling around too much weight (I was pushing 300 lbs). Other health problems got worse.

The whole time I could do nothing but thing "Damn I am scientist! I have worked at the Mayo clinic. I SHOULD be able to do this!!![i.e lose the weight on my own]"

The most I could ever lose on my own was 43 lbs and I gained it back PLUS some. Basically I wasted 10 years of my life, 3K worth of money and further ruined my health.

While some people have ocmplications, the ONLY complication I have/had is dumping. When I eat things that are too sweet (Like icecream) or two fatty, I puke.  It has happened in public places. This "problem" actually keeps me accountable (i.e. I dont like puking. I really hate puking in public places), and I believe was a part of my success. I have only dumped/puked 3 times in the whole 2 years post op (I am a slow learner).

Dont let fear hold you back from improved health, increased energy, vitality and hopefully a long life span!  

If I could do ANY ONE thing in my life over. I would have had gastric bypass at 28 instead of 38.

Good luck!

SkinnyScientist

Who is an imperfect and fearful person sometimes.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 9/4/15 7:05 am

Note to self-learn to proof-read and edit!  :)

chrissylyn
on 9/4/15 8:57 am

Thank you so much skinny scientist for those encouraging words. That really helped me. I too have spent so much money on diets and I am constantly getting more unhealthy and bigger the more I try and diet. I am a little apprehensive but I am ready for a lifestyle change.

chrissylyn

SkinnyScientist
on 9/4/15 12:59 pm

So I think you know the answer.  You can do what you always did and get what you always got. OR you can change the game plan and rules and see what happens.

In all fairness, recognize that bariatric surgery will be YOUR ONE SHOT to lose the weight and keep it off. Be ready to commit 130% to diet, exercise, and your surgeons plan.  The reason I say this is, often people who have had revisions (I.e. multiple bariatric surgeries) dont lose as much weight or lose as quickly they did with their initial surgery. I dont know why this is.

So treat your surgery as your ONE nuclear bomb.  Have it, take aim, use it well, and see it through because their might not be another one in the future.

Not that you would do this, but within the last 3 months, there was ONE poster that never got to goal and wanted a revision. I believe she admitted that she cheated and didnt stick to the portions set out by her surgeon. These surgeries arent things to be taken cavalarly (sp). If you arent ready, do yourself a favor and wait until you ARE ready.  

Like anything in life (particular skating) post op life is more MENTAL than anything. You got to KNOW what you plan says, KNOW the foods that fit in that plan, KNOW that you are going to see it thru THEN you follow thru.  But you GOT to SEE IT in your mind's eye first.

You can do this, just be sure you WANT it.  Scared/nervous apprehension is one thing.  Not wanting to/not having the will to see it thru is something different entirely.

TimeForMe61
on 9/5/15 8:38 am - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

Just need to let you know that you have been a huge inspiration to me for my 7 months on this journey, Skinny!! The Like button just isn't enough to convey it!!

For the poster, I too was terrified of RNY and was vehemently opposed to it. I only would consider VSG. When RNY was recommended, I got pissed off and got a 2nd opinion. Same thing, RNY, because of my GERD.

This was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I don't know if I dump, because I've never trsted it. I did have to have a surgery a month ago to correct an anal fissure that was caused by constipation. But I am so happy that I did this. My health and quality of life are so improved that all co-morbidities are in remission (diabetes, cholesterol,and finally sleep apnea)!!

chrissylyn
on 9/5/15 7:15 pm

Hello TimeForMe61, I also have GERD. So I guess RNY will be better for me. I know Thursday in my nutrition class out of 7 of us women I was the only one having the RNY. My primary doctor although she was happy that I finally decided to have the surgery, she was surprised that I picked the RNY. I told her the surgeon recommended that one because of the diabetes, high cholesterol , and blood pressure. She said she thought that everyone was trying to get away from that particular surgery anymore. I told her I had no idea. But I am excited as I don't know what, and scared but I am willing and ready to do this so that I too can have a better quality of life. Thanks for your encouragement as well. Thanks again Skinny!!!😀

SkinnyScientist
on 9/5/15 11:18 pm

"....all co-morbidities are in remission (diabetes, cholesterol,and finally sleep apnea)!!"

This is WONDERFUL news!  I am so happy for you.  You are a perfect example of the amazing things that can happen when one PAIRS this surgery with a good diet (and all the things you are supposed to).

Seriously, how many other people do you KNOW got off of diabetes meds (I only know three...you, Groomy and a colleague)?  You have done an amazing thing with that alone. Then the cholestrol medicine and sleep apnea!  Wow!

Thanks for sharing!  I hope the OP reads it and considers it!

selhard
on 9/4/15 7:14 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Procedures and medicines do improve.  People don't.   My comments aren't always relatable, so please keep in mind as you read, I was SSMO (super super morbidly obese).  I will forever live with the effects of obesity and WLS issues.  It boils down to:  do I want to deal with them at a BMI in the 60's or a BMI in the 30's?  Obstruction surgery last month feels like it just about did me in.  Yet, I still don't regret WLS because it helps me to LIVE instead of EXIST and it will help allow me to die at peace with myself.  Enough said. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 173 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 371 views
Recent Topics