Dumping syndrome

Ktscarltt413
on 9/4/15 7:37 am
RNY on 11/11/15

I was wondering if it ever goes stop happening if you eat the wrong thing?

chulbert
on 9/4/15 8:53 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

It varies by individual.  I would say that broadly speaking our tummies do "toughen up" over time.

White Dove
on 9/4/15 1:06 pm - Warren, OH

I still dump.  We have no pylric valve so sugar will go right to the intestines for life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

lynnc99
on 9/4/15 1:27 pm

6 years out and it can still happen. 

BWB
on 9/4/15 2:31 pm

It was never a serious problem for me but it happened.  There are times when a certain thing will trigger a horrible feeling and I wish I could dump.  Eating too fast or go over the portion limit will do it.  I am grateful that after 4 years my pouch is still tight and serves up a warning.  

One of the best things that I have accomplished is to stop when I am no longer hungry.  I can wrap the left overs for another time.  No more eating until I feel like I'm going to burst.  Thank God for small favors.

rocky513
on 9/4/15 3:49 pm - WI

I'm not sure you understand what dumping is.  Dumping is NOT caused by eating too fast or over eating.  Those things will cause you to have gastric distress, but it is NOT dumping.  Dumping is a direct result from eating too much sugar. It is so bad that NOBODY would ever wish they could dump.

RNY patients do not have a pyloric valve and the sugar you just ate gets deposited directly into the intestines with no pre-digestion in the stomach.  This causes the intestines to go into hyper mode and it will send a message for your intestines to flush with fluid.  Your intestines will draw in fluid very quickly, from wherever it can find it, and the result is that you become shaky, your heart races so fast it feels like a heart attack, and you may or may not have nausea and diarrhea (not all people get this).  It gets so bad that you feel like a trip to the ER is in order because you might die.  If you have to ask if you are dumping...you probably are not.  It really is that bad.  

I dumped one time because I did not read a label and the item had too much sugar.  I NEVER WANT TO EXPERIENCE DUMPING AGAIN, so I don't ever eat sugar or anything that might make me dump.  I guess because I don't eat sugary food, I don't know if I still dump.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Ktscarltt413
on 9/4/15 6:57 pm
RNY on 11/11/15

Thanks for the information. I have no intention of eating sugary food, but I do worry about hidden sugar like in a seasoning or something like that. I've been reading the posts for awhile on here and some of tolerance thresholds seem very low. (6 grams) You would not be able to eat any fruit at that level. Are there any not so obvious foods you would suggest avoiding?

lynnc99
on 9/4/15 7:11 pm

My first - and worst - dumping episode followed a protein shake made with skim milk. Same brand I'd used for ages, but I'd waited too long to drink it in the morning and my dr. said it was definitely dumping.

The second time was caused by Life cereal with a little milk. 

So it's not necessarily from eating Snickers bars - but sugars in "normal" foods can wreak havoc.

My doctor's initial recommendation for sugar as an ingredient on any processed food (any food with a label) was only 2 gm per serving. I'm a bit more lenient now - but not much. 

Fruit is a different thing because the fructose is not a refined sugar but is processed as a complex carbohydrate. I imagine that some people might dump from fruit, but I can't recall hearing of this. Truth is, I eat just a little fruit even now, and mostly stick with berries when they are available.

Ktscarltt413
on 9/4/15 7:28 pm
RNY on 11/11/15

Thanks that makes more sense about the fruit.

Jaducon3
on 9/6/15 10:23 am

I am four weeks post RNY and had my second experience with dumping today, but today the cramps were much worse and eventually followed up by throwing up, which made me feel better. The commonality between both episodes was macaroni and cheese, and today after I started feeling a little better I had a greek yogurt tube (about 2 oz.). Everyone ehre is talking about refined sugars, but can it be a reaction to dairy as well? The first time happened after eating a little macaroni and cheese and a little egg salad for protein. A friend who is three years out said it can happen after too much sugar or too much fat. Thoughts? Also, how soon after purging and feeling better can I/should I eat or drink? I am behind with my liquids today...

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 276 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views
Recent Topics