Revision from Sleeve to RNY - Nervous

Bchica15
on 9/4/15 6:36 pm
with

I am almost 3 years post op from gastric sleeve surgery. My surgery was 10/1/12. I was a slow loser from the start. When I was ready, I was working out 5-6x a week. Training for my first 5k. I saw my surgeon and nut at required times. They thought my progress was great. I had my surgery in Bogota. I lost 53lbs pre/post op from Oct 2012 until July 2013. We moved back to the US and I gained about 7lbs. We were living in a hotel and I started a new job. We found out we were expecting a baby in Sept 2013. My weight loss slowed between July and August of 2013 leading up to pregnancy. I had a difficult pregnancy but gained weight just like I did in my pre-sleeve pregnancy. After my delivery in 2014, I noticed an increase in reflux and my weightloss was nonexistent. I also didn't feel restriction. I consulted with a new doctor. He ordered a barium swallow. That showed a hiatal hernia and confirmed gerd. At that time the doctor told me he had several post pregnancy sleeve patients with dilated sleeves. I had my follow up endoscopy which confirmed a nice size hiatal hernia and I have an angulated sleeve (it's twisted).The food is not exiting properly or timely. It causes the back up in the sleeve and the gerd. It is also like I have a pouch at end of sleeve. So they believe those things combined are causing the lack of loss. I have Federal BCBS and my information was submitted yesterday. I have a tentative date of 10/7 or 10/14. I am nervous more so than I was first time around. I think because I have already altered my insides once. I am having my surgery at INOVA Fair Oaks. My sleeve recovery was so smooth I am praying for a similar outcome from RNY surgery.

SkinnyScientist
on 9/5/15 3:34 am

I am not sure WHEN pregancy is recommended for someone with the sleeve. If you had RNY initially, you would have been pregnant in the critical honeymoon period.

IF you have RNY, it is recommended that you not get pregnant for about post-op.

You should follow your surgeons plan with respect to food, birth control, and exercise.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Bchica15
on 9/4/15 8:57 pm, edited 9/4/15 9:12 pm
with

I got pregnant almost 12 months post op. My surgeons recommendation was 18 months. That is water under the bridge. I still was not close to the expected amount of weightloss for the time frame. This post was not to get lectured about what happened in the past. It is more about my pending procedures. If you noted in my post I have other medical issues that need to be corrected. I did not have a honeymoon period with my sleeve. The weight did not just roll off. I was working out religiously by 6 weeks post op. Anyways, if your intent was to ask what I have planned for birth control this go round, that did not come across. Thanks for your lecture of something that has already taken place.

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/15 9:07 am

I understand why you're choosing the RNY - it's the best cure for GERD . GERD ( or an unfixed hiatal hernia ) can keep you overeating to avoid internal pain despite your best efforts exercise and diet wise .  Good luck!!  I had huge hiatal hernia which was fixed with a  proximal RNY ... happy to report zero health issues orregaih issues five plus years post op 

Bchica15
on 9/5/15 2:16 am, edited 9/5/15 2:24 am
with
On September 5, 2015 at 9:07 AM Pacific Time, meeow3 wrote:

I understand why you're choosing the RNY - it's the best cure for GERD . GERD ( or an unfixed hiatal hernia ) can keep you overeating to avoid internal pain despite your best efforts exercise and diet wise .  Good luck!!  I had huge hiatal hernia which was fixed with a  proximal RNY ... happy to report zero health issues orregaih issues five plus years post op 

Thank you! Even taking my Nexium has gotten challenging . Stuff gets stuck pretty easily. Glad to hear your surgery went well. I have all the confidence in my surgeon I am just nervous. No one has WLS and plans to have a revision. At least not me. Sleeve is so successful for many, but was not for me. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 416 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404