Surgery date getting closer.

Catsi51
on 9/12/15 3:01 pm

Yesterday I got the call from my insurance co. that my RNY surgery has been approved - and my date is Sept. 28th. Just a little over two weeks away. 5 years ago I looked in to weight loss surgery for the first time and started the process for RNY. Then found out the insurance I had at that time would only approve lap band surgery. I was SO disappointed but after doing a lot of soul searching, went ahead with the band as I felt I had to do SOMETHING. That began a year of hell with the band and eventually it slipped and had to be removed. To be honest, I was grateful to have it taken out. I did manage to lose about 80 lbs during the year I had it and managed to keep 50 of that off in the ensuing years since its removal. Fast forward to now - I have better insurance and am now well on my way to getting the surgery I want and have wanted for the past 5 years. HOWEVER - I now find myself very nervous and having all kinds of conflicting emotions!! I lie in bed at nite and think about all that this surgery entails, what I am doing to my body, and I start feeling a little panicky. Is this normal - did any of you out there go through this as your date got closer? Don't get me wrong - I am so grateful to finally be getting the surgery, but it's like was was some kind of far off goal, almost unreal, until the day a week ago the doc gave me my date, and then yesterday when the insurance co. called with the green light... suddenly it is very very real and very very close. I think, besides worrying about potential negative side effects, what I am really most worried about is that it won't work for me. I've tried every diet and exercise plan out there and none of them gave me more than minimal results that were never long lasting. So I question whether, knowing my history, this will work any better than anything else I've tried? I've read about many people who gained back some, or all, of the weight they lost after RNY because they didn't stick with their plan, so I understand all about that. But I wonder if there has ever been a case of someone just not losing at all, or only very little, from the surgery despite sticking to the plan?

Anyway, I just needed to blow off some anxiety here. Thanks for listening - only those who have been through this can understand.

Catherine

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

White Dove
on 9/12/15 4:06 pm, edited 9/13/15 9:53 am - Warren, OH

Yesterday I got the call from my insurance co. that my RNY surgery has been approved - and my date is Sept. 28th. Just a little over two weeks away. 5 years ago I looked in to weight loss surgery for the first time and started the process for RNY. Then found out the insurance I had at that time would only approve lap band surgery. I was SO disappointed but after doing a lot of soul searching, went ahead with the band as I felt I had to do SOMETHING. That began a year of hell with the band and eventually it slipped and had to be removed. To be honest, I was grateful to have it taken out. I did manage to lose about 80 lbs during the year I had it and managed to keep 50 of that off in the ensuing years since its removal. Fast forward to now - I have better insurance and am now well on my way to getting the surgery I want and have wanted for the past 5 years. HOWEVER - I now find myself very nervous and having all kinds of conflicting emotions!! I lie in bed at nite and think about all that this surgery entails, what I am doing to my body, and I start feeling a little panicky. Is this normal - did any of you out there go through this as your date got closer? Don't get me wrong - I am so grateful to finally be getting the surgery, but it's like it was some kind of far off goal, almost unreal, until the day a week ago the doc gave me my date, and then yesterday when the insurance co. called with the green light... suddenly it is very very real and very very close. I think, besides worrying about potential negative side effects, what I am really most worried about is that it won't work for me. I've tried every diet and exercise plan out there and none of them gave me more than minimal results that were never long lasting. So I question whether, knowing my history, this will work any better than anything else I've tried? I've read about many people who gained back some, or all, of the weight they lost after RNY because they didn't stick with their plan, so I understand all about that. But I wonder if there has ever been a case of someone just not losing at all, or only very little, from the surgery despite sticking to the plan?

Anyway, I just needed to blow off some anxiety here. Thanks for listening - only those who have been through this can understand.

Catherine

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

karenp8
on 9/12/15 5:21 pm - Brighton, IL

Catherine most of us worry about whether surgery will work for us. I had tried diet after diet my whole life. I would lose some weight but each time I gained back even more. When I had surgery three years ago I weighed 272 pounds,was diabetic and had high cholesterol and high blood pressure. For the last two years I have weighed between 117 and 120 and my blood sugar.cholesterol and blood pressure are normal. I feel like a different person and you will too! Be ready for an amazing journey,my deàr!

TimeForMe61
on 9/12/15 8:46 pm - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

Catherine, I think each one of us had the thought that "I'm going to be the one" who fails because I've failed at every other try. It really does work!! It's good to be thinking about how serious a commitment it is because you'll be less likely to go off plan. I am amazed 8 months later, every single day, what a miracle this is. And that helps to strengthen my resolve in sticking to plan so that this way of eating becomes a lifetime habit. It will work for you, you just need to give it your best shot and you can do it!!

Felicity Q.
on 9/12/15 9:04 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Congratulations!  We have the same surgery date!  I'm sure you'll do swimmingly!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

lagesch
on 9/13/15 10:29 am

Keep in touch.. mine is the 21st and I am so nervous.. I think as long as we stick to the plan and exercise we will succeed.  I would like to lose 160+ pounds. Feel free to ask me any questions since I am one week ahead of your surgery..

Lisa

Bensmom812
on 9/13/15 11:01 am

Lisa,

Mine is also the 21st!!!!

Good Luck to both of us!!

Dina

TryAndTryAgain123
on 9/14/15 9:07 am
RNY on 09/21/15

Mine's the 21st toooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to all three of us!!!

Aaagh.  So nervous and excited all at the same time.

DWeiss
on 9/13/15 12:12 pm
RNY on 09/08/15

You will do great.  I am almost one week post op and as of today off all pain meds and not hungry.  Getting protein in with no problem. Fluids a little more challanging.  Best of luck and let us know how you do 

Debbie

lagesch
on 9/13/15 12:25 pm

any helpful hits for the weeks post-op... what does your liquid intake entail for a day... any helpful hints?

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 477 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 441 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 383 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 106 views
Forum Search Error & 404