I hit Goal - and now I find that I am always hungry and my memory(and Focus seems is not...

Zonechef
on 9/19/15 5:11 am
RNY on 12/03/14

Hello all. I hit my goal at 9 months post op and a few more. I find that I did gain a few pounds back 3 but still a hair under goal . I seem to be famished very often causing me to be forgetful and confused(which is affecting my job performance at work)- Can this be an effect of me losing 1/3 of my body weight in just over 9 months (294 to 170). I have been at my job for 13 years and I am have been told by my manager that if I do not start stepping up my detail attention I may be demoted or terminated and I my anxiety is intensifying as this would be devastating-my financial situation is not good and I really depend on this- Any advice ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated..

White Dove
on 9/19/15 5:24 am - Warren, OH

Get complete bloodwork done and address any deficiencies.  Are you taking your vitamins every day?  Losing the excess weight is not the reason for forgetfulness and confusion.  A vitamin or mineral deficiency may be to blame.

If you are eating simple carbs, that can cause reactive hypoglycemia.  The carbs spike your blood sugar and then it crashes a while later.  Make sure you are eating protein forward and not eating things with flour, sugar, rice, potatoes or cereals.  It is easy to add those things back and the scale may not reflect it but your body may react with the symptoms you are experiencing.

Eating carbs will also cause the hunger for more carbs.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

lynnc99
on 9/19/15 6:31 am

Yes - run, don't walk, to get some labs done. 

B vitamins especially. 

selhard
on 9/19/15 12:29 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

At my clinic, there are many self-pay lab work tests available without the need to see a doctor or get a referral.  Examples are:   to test for ferritin=$30  to test for magnesium=$10  to test for B12=$30  to test for D 25 Hydroxy=$70.  If you can find a self-pay lab near you, it might save you some time and money.

HKT53
on 9/19/15 12:42 pm - Toronto, Canada

Like they say...get bloodwork ASAP!

what kind of work do you do? Generalize is fine but what sort of overall detail is involved (i.e. Accounting, or keying in orders or reading reports or scheduling). I can help you with tips regarding speed and acuracy or stepping up followup. Sometimes just point form in a little book as you go along your day and reading briefly after lunch and forwarding things to do for next day can be extremely advantageous. When you do catch yourself confused or lacking follow up, what time of day was it? Thats what you need to tell your Dr. It is helpful checking on blood sugar, blood pressure and foods you are eating during your workday. You have done so well with your goal weight now you can focus on work goals.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

White Dove
on 9/19/15 2:03 pm - Warren, OH

I believe he is a chef

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

HKT53
on 9/19/15 2:27 pm - Toronto, Canada

Ohhh, that makes sense. Dahhh on my part. Although my Dad was the city's best chef in his day. I cannot help. Sorry for busting in. My bad. But there are games and web tips for helping in that area.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

SkinnyScientist
on 9/19/15 3:08 pm

Are you on any bloodsugar control medicine?  I got put on metformin and turned into a space cadet (complete with slurred words).

To counter-act this, I DID add in TWO low GI carbs.

I specifically added in an apple + cheese snack at 10 and 3 pm.

On non-apple days, I eat a mixture of sweet potato, cauliflower and red lentil (heavy on the cauliflower, lighter on the sweet potato, and really light on the red lentil). They are pureed together,

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 9/19/15 3:10 pm

PS. They are right on the B vitamins. My cousins wife, didnt take her vitamins for years, then one day got in her car, looked at the gearbox, and realized she forgot how to drive.  Like.. R was for reverse.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Zonechef
on 9/19/15 3:21 pm
RNY on 12/03/14

thank you all for great  advice

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views