2 years after surgery

dintybinty
on 9/21/15 1:59 pm

I had my bypass 2 years ago...its been a struggle. I weighed 203...lost 95 pounds...Nauseated all the time...throw up all the time....but I still have no regrets. I am now faced with something new. Not sure if its at all related but all the nutrients you miss, the vitamins etc, seems as if the brain goes haywire. Not real sure about how to explain it...but I wonder if its something to it?  

rocky513
on 9/21/15 9:00 am, edited 9/21/15 9:00 am - WI

Are you getting regular lab work done.  The first year, lab work should be done every 3 months.  Second year, every 6 months. Then yearly after the third year.  

Keeping up with your lab numbers and recognizing downward trends is essential so you can adjust your vitamin routine.  Most of us have to take additional supplements to our multi vitamins and calcium.  

Don't trust your doctor when he says everything looks good.  If it falls between a VERY large margin of error, they tell you your labs are fine.

I keep a spread sheet of my yearly lab numbers to see where the trends are ( up or down).  There are lots of websites that explain what the lab numbers mean and where they really should be.  I try to keep all my numbers at the high end of normal.  RNY patient lab numbers can drop quickly.  I don't absorb Iron orally and have to have periodic iron infusions.

Your symptoms could be caused by several deficiencies.  I would schedule lab work ASAP and go from there.

Are you drinking at least 64 ounces of fluid daily?  The nausea can be a symptom of dehydration.  

Most people who have problems with vomiting are either eating too fast, not chewing food well enough, or eating too much.  If you are sure that you are eating slowly, chewing well, and not over eating, you might be developing a stricture.  If that is the case, it is easily fixed by a simple outpatient procedure.  Call your surgeon so he can take a look at your stoma.

You must be your own health care advocate and stay on top of things after WLS.

I hope you can figure out what the problem is!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

dintybinty
on 9/21/15 4:18 pm

I do keep my dr appts with labs etc. And they do say things are fine...No...I cant get all my fluids in...and yes dehydration is a big issue. The nausea...they cant figure out, the vomiting...Yes...Im a fast eater....but the vitamins I think is the issue. Ive been put on potassium, I am going to have to keep track from now on. Thanks for the reply!

NYMom222
on 9/21/15 5:06 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

If you struggle to get your fluids in, that can certainly cause nausea. Struggling 2 years out is uncommon. I know for me I had to figure out a system that worked. Now I count all fluids... so I easily get more than 64. For me I find it hard to drink a lot once I start eating solid food. So for me that begins with lunch. In AM I have 16-24oz of tea or coffee then 11-16oz of a protein drink. (11oz if it is Premier), then 16oz of water before lunch ever happens. This way I don't feel so much pressure of pushing fluids all day. I still drink more, just am not worried about getting enough in.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

lynnc99
on 9/21/15 9:05 pm

The first thing that comes to mind for me is the B vitamin levels. These tie directly to neurological function. Get your exact lab numbers - every time - don't just accept "fine" as the answer. Get the levels and check them out yourself, and you'll always have a copy. 

And it could be something much simpler too - if I eat extremely low carbs (a la Atkins diet style), I get a "sparkly" feeling in my brain that is only rectified by having a little of a tortilla or something similar. 

dintybinty
on 9/22/15 4:14 am

Thank you for the replies...the vitamins and water levels were my first thought as to what was going on...I will be on top of this from now on.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 529 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 461 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 120 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 326 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?