REALLY STRUGGLING

Catsi51
on 10/21/15 10:27 am

Hi,

I am really struggling. I am 24 days post op. I had a lot of inner swelling right after RNY surgery and could not keep even my own saliva down - vomited pretty much non-stop for 5 days post op. Then the vomiting stopped and they let me go home from the hospital on day 7 - and I have been struggling to get in the required liquids ever since. At first I was averaging 4 or 5 cups a day, and I had to go back to the hospital as an outpatient for hydration a few times. Now I am finding it hard to get even 2 cups of water down each day. It seems to take hours just to get 8 ounces down. I cannot drink any of the protein drinks I've tried, they make me vomit. Altho I had totally forgotten this, this also happened when I had a lap band put in in 2011. I guess I am allergic to something in them - I've tried several different kinds and cannot tolerate any of them.

I was moved from strictly liquids to soft foods 4 days ago. Other than mashed potatoes, there is nothing I've tried that I can keep down. Yes I know, mashed potatoes is a no-no carb, and going forward will be eliminated from my diet, but for this stage the dietitian said not to worry about that - they are soothing on the stomach and easy to get down, and that's what's important for now. I tried to add some pureed green beans to the potatoes yesterday and it was a no go.... just a few spoons of plain mashed potatoes is all my body will accept right now.

I have absolutely no energy. Just making a cup of tea (herbal) wears me out. I feel like crap. I know it is early on to judge this, but so far, despite good weight loss (25 pounds in 24 days) I'm not sure this has been worth it!! Honestly, does this EVER get better? Everyone keeps telling me to hang in there, that it will slowly get better day by day, but each day I feel the same, or even worse - it does NOT seem to be getting better at all!! Help!!!!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

ladygodiva1228
on 10/21/15 10:53 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On October 21, 2015 at 5:27 PM Pacific Time, Catsi51 wrote:

Hi,

I am really struggling. I am 24 days post op. I had a lot of inner swelling right after RNY surgery and could not keep even my own saliva down - vomited pretty much non-stop for 5 days post op. Then the vomiting stopped and they let me go home from the hospital on day 7 - and I have been struggling to get in the required liquids ever since. At first I was averaging 4 or 5 cups a day, and I had to go back to the hospital as an outpatient for hydration a few times. Now I am finding it hard to get even 2 cups of water down each day. It seems to take hours just to get 8 ounces down. I cannot drink any of the protein drinks I've tried, they make me vomit. Altho I had totally forgotten this, this also happened when I had a lap band put in in 2011. I guess I am allergic to something in them - I've tried several different kinds and cannot tolerate any of them.

I was moved from strictly liquids to soft foods 4 days ago. Other than mashed potatoes, there is nothing I've tried that I can keep down. Yes I know, mashed potatoes is a no-no carb, and going forward will be eliminated from my diet, but for this stage the dietitian said not to worry about that - they are soothing on the stomach and easy to get down, and that's what's important for now. I tried to add some pureed green beans to the potatoes yesterday and it was a no go.... just a few spoons of plain mashed potatoes is all my body will accept right now.

I have absolutely no energy. Just making a cup of tea (herbal) wears me out. I feel like crap. I know it is early on to judge this, but so far, despite good weight loss (25 pounds in 24 days) I'm not sure this has been worth it!! Honestly, does this EVER get better? Everyone keeps telling me to hang in there, that it will slowly get better day by day, but each day I feel the same, or even worse - it does NOT seem to be getting better at all!! Help!!!!

It almost sounds like you have a stricture. Yes they can happen early out or later down the road. With you going from 4-5 cups a day to struggling to get down 2 something doesn't sound right.

What is your surgeon saying about all this?

What kinds of shakes have you been trying premade or ones you mix with milk?

It does get better, but right now you and your surgeon need to figure out why you are vomiting and having problems drinking jus****er.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

hl1524
on 10/21/15 11:33 am - Austin, TX

Whenever I would have issues with food I would go back to liquids for a day or so and try something else. Make sure you are getting protein and fluids in.

RNY 8/27/2014

pammiv
on 10/21/15 11:52 am

I had similar issues int he beginning and was beating myself up for not getting the protein/liquids in. My surgeon told me - "do what you can with what you can and stop trying to follow everyone else. Follow the plan I have given you and check in with me often - that's what you are paying me for." My advice for what it is worth from a newbie 11 months out at goal weight - listen to your body and your doctor. You will get there. If you are feeling like something is wrong - pick up the phone and call your doctor.

Prayers and well wishes for you!

RNY December 17, 2014 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Dcgirl
on 10/21/15 12:55 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Perhaps try part-skim ricotta cheese, completely mashed up egg salad, runny scrambled eggs, and greek yogurt (Dannon Light and Fit gets you the best bang for your protein buck). Sorry you're not feeling well - I hope your issues resolve - my RNY was the best thing I have ever done for myself and feeling healthy and energetic is a gift every single day! I hope you reach that point too! :)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/21/15 1:05 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I bet you do feel awful -- you can't possibly be getting enough protein and you're likely dehydrated. The bad part about dehydration is that it creates a vicious circle: you feel sick when you drink because you are dehydrated -- then you don't drink --- and increase your dehydration.

I would consider trying a protein drink such as Nectar Fuzzy Navel that you mix with water -- that way you kill two birds with one stone: you get more water in and protein. A lot of people are lactose intolerant after surgery -- and while it is whey protein -- you at least won't have any milk in your shake? I like to mix it with Mio in a similar flavor to make it more tasty.

I won't say anything about the mashed potatoes. I mean, you already seem to know that isn't optimal.

I do agree with other posters -- I would insist they check that you don't have a stricture, request a prescription for an anti-emetic if you don't have one -- and work hard on meeting my protein goals and liquids. It does get better.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

mute
on 10/21/15 2:18 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

That sounds awful! I'm so sorry you're struggling like that. I sincerely doubt anyone would take you to task over mashed potatoes when you know they're not ideal but can't handle anything else at this point.

I like the idea Kat had to try the protein + water at once. Those were what I was using in the beginning. It does sound like an awful cycle.

I did struggle in the beginning, for the first month or two, admittedly not like you are, but enough that I was not feeling good at all for those 8 weeks. I'm only about 7 months out but can say I definitely don't regret it now. If I were you I would INSIST they check there isn't anything wrong.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

selhard
on 10/22/15 4:14 am, edited 10/22/15 2:16 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Caring thoughts...hope you are making daily contact with your WLS team? Feeling worse instead of better sounds like further medical evaluation is warranted.

FYI: my favorite protein sources newly post-op besides protein drinks were Unjury brand chicken broth, cottage cheese, Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt, sf pudding with protein powder stirred in, sf jello, and sf popsicles in between doses of warm water. At your 24 days post-op, 1/4 cup of chili was a favorite. Tip for a sneaky way to hydrate: when sitting in a recliner, I would prop a sports bottle of water on a pillow and let the water slowly trickle in the side of my mouth without hardly noticing. I could fall asleep and still get drops of water snoozing.

KrystalSlate
on 10/22/15 8:37 am
RNY on 09/23/15

Have you tried fairlife milk? it is just ultra filtered milk, no additives or anything extra but has like 12 g of protein? Also they make a Isopure clear colored liquid that has 40 g of protein in 20 oz its like Gatorade but no sugar/carbs and is healthy...

Catsi51
on 10/22/15 9:31 am

Haven't tried either of those - have to look in to them. I did look for the Fairlife milk at my local grocery and they don't carry it. I'll have to try checking their website to see if they have a store locator.

I'm about to make a soft boiled egg and see if I can get, and hold, that down! Wish me luck and thanks for the info!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics