How is your appetite post op? (4 days post op)

clnewsome_85
on 10/23/15 1:24 pm
RNY on 10/19/15

Cross posted

I am 4 days post-op (Revision-Lap band to RNY) and today i was told I can start incorporating clear protein if I would like. I tried a little bit of Isopure-YUCK and decided to try what I like Nectar-island cooler. i had about 5 sips...I am terrified to dump at this point and everyone is different. My stomach was a little upset and I have had an upset stomach yet. MY question is, when did you get an appetite? I have NONE. I can get down my water and some broth and really enjoy Mayfield Bananna Popsicles (which i cant find anywhere) and that's it. I had two bites of jello and was "full" I haven't been hungry so i didnt want to push the jello if i didnt want it. Any suggestions or insight?

I can tell i still have some gas but have been walking around alot. Made it around the neighborhood, walmart and grocery store today and feel fine, not sore or overly tiered.

Thanks in advance

Chelsea

burgoya
on 10/23/15 1:53 pm

I am 12 days out from RNY and have yet to feel hungry. I am doing the Isopure blue raspberry.

Angelinegetsrny
on 10/23/15 2:50 pm

I was the exact same way right after surgery. I loved isopure before surgery, now it's disgusting and I can't stand it. I'm 16 days out right now and I still don't have an appetite, but it has gotten a lot easier to eat over the last few days. My surgeon told me not to push myself- if I didn't feel like I could get a certain amount of protein in, don't worry about it. Work on getting your fluids in and keeping yourself hydrated. It will come with time!

White Dove
on 10/23/15 3:07 pm - Warren, OH

I am eight years out and still never get hungry.

You learn to weigh and measure your food and get in what you need. Some people have hunger that comes back. Others are never hungry again.

It is easy to lose and maintain weight loss when you are never hungry and can only eat very little when you do eat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

floweringgemini
on 10/23/15 5:41 pm - Rocky Point, NC

I am 4 days out as well. I am afraid to try jello. I am on full liquids so I have added some unflavored protein to a black bean pureed soup that I made. Drinking hurts me so I have been hydrating with SF popsicles. I am not hungry but have still managed to get some stuff in.

clnewsome_85
on 10/23/15 7:10 pm
RNY on 10/19/15

Good luck! I am on clear liquid until Monday and can start cloudy soups and protein shakes after that. My program and surgeon is amazing, just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy or see how everyone else felt.

Glad im not the only one to get nervous when trying something!

mherman89
on 10/24/15 11:15 pm

I'm only three days out - I'm not hungry at all but am THIRSTY TO THE MAX. Even if I sip my water, my thirst is instatiable.

I've been surviving on Popsicles, since it gets you that coldness and moisture without much filling...

What are your thoughts on chewing gum? I've heard it may cause gas and obviously don't swallow it, but I feel like it could help with keeping my mouth wet/less thirsty.

clnewsome_85
on 10/25/15 5:17 am
RNY on 10/19/15

That's great you like Popsicles. In the hospital I had banana ones that weren't too sweet and no where around here sells them! The Popsicle brand we had at home tastes like chemicals to me. I did however find tropical Popsicles that I like. I understand you completely. I have been able to sip more and more frequently by each day so you should be able to drink more day by day :-) that's good news.

I still have no appetite and worry how I am going to get my protein and water in. I am however ready to try my shakes tomorrow and slowly start thoughs. I am going to go back to work tomorrow. I took the extra week off but feel fine so I am just going to go for a couple hours here and there. I drink more water at work anyways.

headed the the gym this afternoon to walk with my daughter! I can't wait!

How i.e. are you feeling?

Caroline K.
on 10/25/15 5:13 am

I'm 18 months out, and unfortunately the hunger is back with a vengeance. So, I need to be very careful not to slip back into bad habits. I do screw up occasionally, but it's a marathon, not a race, right?!

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

kerbear1969
on 10/25/15 8:13 am - MD

11.5 weeks out and never have an appetite. REMEMBER you used to live to eat but now you eat to live. Keep trying to get nutrition.

RNY 8/6/15 HW 304 LW 124lbs RW 165 CW 140 Weight loss stats: Liquid Pre-op -35, August-18, September-12, October-11, November-18, December-16, January-12, February-10, March-11, April -8, May-11, June-5 July-5,August-6

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 517 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 254 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics