"Easy Way Out" - Family Drama

NYMom222
on 10/24/15 10:14 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I don't think it's easy - I have worked just as hard as I did on any diet. Just in different ways... But it is do much easier to stick with it because you are having results and you do feel much better.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

sumaire
on 10/24/15 10:36 am

Despite all evidence to the contrary, the kid seems to think that all I need to do is eat less and I'll lose the weight. She doesn't get (or want to get) that that's not an option for me.

I truly believe that at this point, my body is working against me to get rid of it all. The changes to my stomach's gut bacteria over the years (no, I don't use artificial sweeteners, as I can taste them and they ALL taste vile to me) and all that have made a "naturally" skinny me impossible to achieve. I think the same is true of her, but she's got to learn that on her own, hopefully by seeing the positive changes I'll get in my life from this surgery.

Roux en Y on 10/27/2016

HW 300 SW 284 CW 158 (4-26-2018)

sweetpotato1959
on 10/27/15 7:45 pm

Sometimes fear shows in opposition.. When she says she thinks you are taking th hard way... say " lets discuss this just a min".. Tell her you "love her very much,",,then.. Ask her "how the" hard way " is working for" her.

. Some think this is the easy way out, and it is viewed as that, but it was not for me...those who had complications from surgery don't consider it the easy way either. My metabolism study showed My body was much more efficient than it should have been. My calorie needs were about 500-600 per day.. For me it was the only way.. I had exhausted all other possibilities, and was gaining 20 lbs every 6 months,... unless i was on a starvation tuna and string beans..

Surgery is a precious TOOL, that you will have to obtain your goal of a healthy life. What ever your surgical procedure... follow your surgeons directions...as much as you can..make every effort and you will loose. You will be able to move, tie your own shoes...go for a walk and enjoy it ...and breathe ...all at the same time!

Having that kind of backflow is doing damage and you must stop it..

...after surgery, should you want sweets and can, you might try the natural ones...I use stevia in a natural leaf, and in a non alcoholic extract...2-3 drops sweeten a cup of coffee or hot cocoa. They do taste different, but after you have been off all sweetners for a while, they may be acceptable, because your taste buds will have lost their memory... and the receptors will need to be re-trained.

robinreinhardt
on 10/24/15 1:44 pm

NYMom,

I agree with you in regards to how much work it is!!! I really don't like to tell every person that I had surgery because they tend to think that I took the easy way out. My surgery was an awesome tool and I could not have done it without it. Have a great week end and thanks for your post.

Robin

mute
on 10/24/15 11:47 am
RNY on 03/23/15

My Mom wasn't quite as against it as your daughter seems to be but she wasn't really on board with it and still doesn't really get it. She makes random comments that hurt my feelings all the time. But honestly I don't care. I did this for me. I was really upset before I had the surgery that she wasn't super supportive but after the surgery I decided that I'm the one putting in the hard work so I'm the only one who mattered.

Good luck!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

robinreinhardt
on 10/24/15 1:36 pm

Surgery was the best decision that I have ever made. I only wish I would have done it sooner. Good luck.

Robin

hollykim
on 10/24/15 2:35 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 24, 2015 at 6:08 AM Pacific Time, sumaire wrote:

My daughter is under the mistaken impression that by pursuing this, I am trying to take the "easy way out" to getting rid of all this weight. Today, she made a snarky comment about the doctor "stabbing you and maybe killing you" in the course of surgery.

I'm sticking to my plan to have the surgery. I know she's upset about it, but I've also let her know that the doctor has told me that once I have the surgery, I will no longer have an issue I've had for nearly 40 years now, where food that's only just gone to my stomach will come up again, as though I am some kind of cow or goat, needing to rechew what I've swallowed. It's disgusting, but there's never been anything I could do about it.

The doctor said that once the surgery happens, the regurgitation will be a thing of the past, and that thought makes me more than a little happy. The mere idea of being likened to a ruminant just disgusts me. Also, can you imagine the damage that all this has done to my esophagus in the nearly 40 years since this began? That can't be good for me at all!

I'll say that it's difficult to not let my daughter make me second guess my decision, but even knowing that the whole "moo" thing will be a thing of the past helps me to stay strong in my determination to take this next step and embrace the tool that I will be given.

Thanks for listening. I don't have many folks out there who would understand what I'm going through.

how old is your daughyter

sumaire
on 10/24/15 10:37 pm

She's 32, but we share a home together, so we're in each other's company a lot.

Roux en Y on 10/27/2016

HW 300 SW 284 CW 158 (4-26-2018)

White Dove
on 10/24/15 2:58 pm - Warren, OH

Remember that about 99% of the world thinks we just need to eat less.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

AnneL
on 10/24/15 7:38 pm

I would say it is not the easy way out, but a more possible way out. Has not been an easy journey so far, but most successful in66 years.

I hope you find sufficient support. Best to you.

Anne

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 139 views