Feels like it didnt work

floweringgemini
on 10/28/15 12:10 pm - Rocky Point, NC

I am hungry, exhausted and all out miserable. I hurt only when I drink. I am 1 week out and really it doesnt even feel like I had my digestive system changed around. I dont get it. When I eat my soup it feels like I can eat the whole can. I see folks talking about no appetite and having a hard time getting soup in or can only have 1 or 2 oz. I ate a whole pudding cup and no fullness what is wrong with me? Will this change? Feels like I am going to start gaining weight at any time.

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/15 12:21 pm

I felt the same way ... you may actually be healthier than most or just simply more stubborn :) . I craved food a LOT at the beginning and ate ridiculous things . In the long run it didn't hurt me but I don't encourage rebellious behavior ( I did end up back in the hospital once too ).

Do the best you can and keep posting ... the support helps a lot . And walk walk walk !! (((()))) hugs congratulations on movingto the loser's bench !

Deanna798
on 10/28/15 12:34 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

you are still eating soft foods and liquids. They will slide through your pouch. With some time, and transition to more dense foods, I'm sure you will feel the restriction.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

mysty888
on 10/28/15 12:46 pm
RNY on 01/22/15

It took a week or two, maybe slightly more for the hunger to go away. It has to do with the hormones, and also the head hunger, habits, etc. You are only a week out, and your stomach still needs to heal. I was told that your nerves are cut, and so you won't feel as much until they heal. You are also eating soft slider foods that aren't going to put much pressure on your tummy. About a month out, I REALLY felt the restriction. One bite too much of dense protein, and I felt like I was having a heart attack because of the pressure in the middle of my chest where my tiny tummy was.

In the beginning, you want things to happen quickly. It's confusing, and weird, and you compare yourself to everyone else's story. Give it some time. I hated that advice, but it was true. Now that I'm 117 pounds down, and it's been 9 months (that includes pre-surgery loss of 15), it feels like it has just melted away. You will get used to it, and will settle into a new normal. Well, mostly normal with new adjustments along the way. Keep following the rules and you will be fine. Your hormones, healing, exhaustion, expectations, etc. are also probably wreaking havoc on you right now. It will be ok. Just breathe. And then again. And again. You made a great decision. Keep focusing on what you are supposed to do day to day and it will work. Good luck!

jazzycatz
on 10/28/15 12:47 pm - Joppa, MD

Ok, pull yourself together. I say this all the time to folks here...you just had major surgery and your body is still trying to figure out what the hell happened and how to fix it. Of course you are exhausted. Your body is really working hard healing right now.

As to not feeling full did they not explain to you that they cut the nerves and you will not feel full for a few months? Some feel it sooner, some later. And liquids and soft foods slide right through your pouch. You have no pyloric valve to stop stuff from just passing through.

That's why it's so important to measure your food right now. You can eat too much and screw your new pouch up. You might notice you have a "tell" that will indicate when you are getting full. For many, their nose starts to run. I had that. And burping a lot. Others don't get that. It's different for everyone.

Right now you work on getting your fluids in first. 2nd is protein. And you have to walk even if it's just around the house for a few minutes each hour.

You can do this. Reach out for support here when you need. You are just getting started and it's a long journey.

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/15 1:04 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I was hungry from about 2 days post-op and the feeling didn't go away until I was allowed to start soft foods like lunch meat. I also felt as though I basically didn't have surgery at first...the recovery just seemed too easy. That definitely changed when I started eating dense protein, although I'm still eating more calories (about 1200/day) than many on here claim to at 6 mos out.

sweetpotato1959
on 10/28/15 3:34 pm

floweringgemini, YoU are normal. your body is throwing a hissy fit, and you will have to take control and it will adjust. The adjustment is different for every one.. My surgery was done 20 years ago, and included the basics of a RNY + several other procedures.(10 toatal) Mine was not a Lap., but an open abdominal from the top to the bottom. Because it was so extensive, I was swelled and had a very small pouch for 8-12 weeks.... that is not the norm now.

You are eating all soft and many liquids. these foods go thru your pouch very quickly. Nerves are damaged, and healing must take place ...give yourself time to heal. Don't freak out. Don't get scared. Do the best you can to follow all directions, as your diet/ foods/fluids/carbs and proteins stabilize...every bad symptom you are having now, will go away.

Keep a diet diary. .. this...will give you a feeling of control, and reassure you re:your all your intake...for now, Your Pouch will kick in, to do this as you heal. Record your protein, water/liquid/and carbs. Know that too many carbs will trigger hunger. Vitamin B complex sublingual will stop carb cravings in a couple of days, if it continues to be a problem.

Kathyjs
on 10/28/15 6:40 pm

Just because 'you can' doesn't mean you should!!! Measure, follow your plan. Stop testing it, seriously stop . Drink fluids and good luck

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/15 9:49 am - CA

You are in the early stages of your liquid diet, so you are bound to feel like you can eat more and will have hunger pains. The surgery was on your stomach, not your head. And, head hunger is what can do us in. So, you are not alone, but it will pass. What helped me early on when I felt like I was still hungry after I ate, I would go walking. Being one week out, you need to keep walking and this will help to get your mind off of any head hunger. Be sure to drink water and that will also help to satisfy you too.

Everyone experiences those fears that the surgery is not going to work for them, but it does. Just have faith and change your habits early on. You will find that the weight will come off and you will be full once you are on more solid foods.

Good luck and be sure to keep us updated!!!

Nik

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 326 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views