Dizziness/Vertigo

Kiwichick
on 11/14/15 1:38 pm - New Zealand

Ok - so I went to my first yoga class in about 7 year last Monday and ever since then whenever I bend over I experience dizziness (or maybe vertigo) . 

I'm fairly certain yoga has caused it, but I'm four months post op and I was wondering if there is any chance it could be symptom of something else relating to my RNY surgery/post op?  Has anyone else experienced dizziness post op?  Is it something I should check out with my Doctor?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

RNY 21 Jul 2015, HW 268, SW 252, M1 = 230, M2 = 216, M3 = 207, M4 = 199

Maria27
on 11/14/15 1:54 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

It's fairly common. I've heard that it has to do with your body adjusting to the rapid weight loss. Now that you are smaller, it takes less effort for your body to pump the blood around, so your blood pressure drops. I brought it up with my surgeon's office, and they were no help. The nurse practitioner looked at me like she had no idea what I was talking about, and told me not to wait so long in the morning before eating, which has no effect because it's not connected to when I eat. People around here report this happening to them rather frequently, so I'm fairly certain that if it's only happening when you change position quickly, then it's your blood pressure.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

cabin111
on 11/14/15 2:57 pm

Was it "hot yoga"?  It could be dehydration...Very common.  It's the # 1 reason WLS patients reenter the hospital.  Below are the signs.  If you end up in the hospital they usually fill you with IVs and you're fine in a day or two.  Brian

Symptoms

By Mayo Clinic Staff  

Mild to moderate dehydration is likely to cause:

• Dry, sticky mouth
  • Sleepiness or tiredness -- children are likely to be less active than usual
  • Thirst
  • Decreased urine output
  • No wet diapers for three hours for infants
  • Few or no tears when crying
  • Dry skin
  • Headache
  • Constipation
  • Dizziness or lightheadedness

Severe dehydration, a medical emergency, can cause:

• Extreme thirst
  • Extreme fussiness or sleepiness in infants and children; irritability and confusion in adults
  • Very dry mouth, skin and mucous membranes
  • Little or no urination -- any urine that is produced will be darker than normal
  • Sunken eyes
  • Shriveled and dry skin that lacks elasticity and doesn't "bounce back" when pinched into a fold
  • In infants, sunken fontanels -- the soft spots on the top of a baby's head
  • Low blood pressure
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Rapid breathing
  • No tears when crying
  • Fever
  • In the most serious cases, delirium or unconsciousness

Unfortunately, thirst isn't always a reliable gauge of the body's need for water, especially in children and older adults. A better indicator is the color of your urine: Clear or light-colored urine means you're well hydrated, whereas a dark yellow or amber color usually signals dehydration.

When to see a doctor

If you're a healthy adult, you can usually treat mild to moderate dehydration by drinking more fluids, such as water or a sports drink (Gatorade, Powerade, others). Get immediate medical care if you develop severe signs and symptoms such as extreme thirst, a lack of urination, shriveled skin, dizziness and confusion.

Treat children and older adults with greater caution. Call your family doctor right away if your loved one:

• Develops severe diarrhea, with or without vomiting or fever
  • Has bloody or black stool
  • Has had moderate diarrhea for 24 hours or more
  • Can't keep down fluids
  • Is irritable or disoriented and much sleepier or less active than usual
  • Has any of the signs or symptoms of mild or moderate dehydration

Go to the nearest hospital emergency room or call 911 or your emergency medical number if you think a child or older adult is severely dehydrated. You can help prevent dehydration from becoming severe by carefully monitoring someone who is sick and giving fluids, such as an oral rehydration solution (CeraLyte, Pedialyte, others), at the first sign of diarrhea, vomiting or fever and by encouraging children to drink plenty of water before, during and after exercise

Karen518
on 11/14/15 3:16 pm

Your dizziness is likely caused by blood pressure fluctuations which can certainly be caused by mild dehydration.  Are you on blood pressure medication?  It can also be an indication that your mess need to be adjusted or eliminated.

totally unrelated to RNY, there is some kind of virus going around that I have heard about fro several sources just recently that causes vertigo.  I hope you figureitout quickly.

Joemac9408
on 11/14/15 3:42 pm - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

I was dealing with the same thing for a while every time I stood up I would get really light headed.  I recently added some more fluids and it seems to have helped.  

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

Grim_Traveller
on 11/14/15 6:47 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's most likely orthostatic hypotension, also called positional hypotension. As others said it's a drop in blood pressure when you get up or stand up. More fluids helps, as does more salt, getting up slowly, and pumping your arms and legs to get your blood pressure up before moving. 

You can check by taking your blood pressure while sitting or lying down, and then immediately on standing. If it drops, it's orthostatic hypotension.

It's pretty common during the first year, but your body will adjust.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CHELLEYGIRL
on 11/15/15 7:51 pm - PALMDALE, CA

I've had this problem for YEARS! Even before surgery. It's a real pain in the butt!!! 

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

iloveravens
on 11/15/15 5:20 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Yes, this happened to me early on.  It turns out my blood pressure was really low.  I was drinking a gallon of liquid per day so I knew I wasn't dehydrated - so make sure you're drinking enough.  I also had low iron. I started an extra dose of iron and it went away, along with adding a little salt to my diet.  Check in with your doc.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Kiwichick
on 11/15/15 2:20 pm - New Zealand

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.  I'll increase my fluids and see my Doctor if it continues longer than another week or two.

RNY 21 Jul 2015, HW 268, SW 252, M1 = 230, M2 = 216, M3 = 207, M4 = 199

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views