Cooking for the holidays......

radze09
on 11/17/15 8:56 am
RNY on 06/08/15

So, I have been looking at recipe's and trying to see how I can work them to suit everyone in the family. There is me (RNY), sister in law (sleeve), and my father in law who just had a liver transplant about a month ago, so he is high protein. Plus all the other "normal" people. I found a black bean dip with fresh veggies. Got appetizer I thought. Has anyone used Daikon in place of potatoes?? Cauliflower is out, to many people don't like it! I love it though ? Any other thoughts on foods that can be replaced with better stuff. This shouldn't be this hard to figure out but for some reason I can't really come up with to much. The main dishes are corned beef brisket, mashed sweet potato and...........help!

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/15 10:10 am

Check out the World according to Eggface. Do a search. She has some great recipes. 

White Dove
on 11/17/15 10:25 am - Warren, OH

I tried frying daiken once like fried potatoes and did not care for it at all.  It is a hot and spicy radish.

Some people use turnips or parsnips for mashed potatoes.  I would try them first before fixing them for a holiday meal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

radze09
on 11/17/15 10:43 am
RNY on 06/08/15

Turnips and parsnips......nice, I have used them in soups to replace potatoes, so that's a nice thought! Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/15 10:51 am

My mother also had RNY but she doesn't follow the plan for our huge life change.  Therefore, I cook my own food and take it.  It's hard for me because my family members make the regular ol' food and I get tempted.  With desserts, I sometimes crack.  I have avoided any family function I can in the past and this is one of the reasons.  They sit for hours and just eat intermittently throughout the day.  It is a trigger for me.  I hope this Thanksgiving I can deal with it.  I wasn't going to go at all but I got a phone call from my mother and she says that she has something related to her health to tell her children.  So, for this reason, I feel obligated to go.  I say, cook your own food with recipes you find on the websites mentioned or also on My Fitness Pal.  Good luck!

radze09
on 11/17/15 11:04 am
RNY on 06/08/15

Thanks teacher mom. I am cooking for the family(my husbands side). I am the only one that has any skill. We have always ordered out for any holidays, but this year with my surgery, my sister in laws and father in laws, it is cheaper for me and safer for me to cook for everyone. 11 people total.

Deanna798
on 11/17/15 11:04 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I host thanksgiving and Christmas and I plan on having all of the standard fare.  I will be making a sugar free pumpkin cheesecake for myself.  I'm the only one who's had wls, and I am positive I cam eat reasonably well.  I'm usually running around serving and taking care of everyone else.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/17/15 11:38 am

I am 7 years post op.  I still don't eat a lot.  But every holidays, family and friends  gathering I cna cook all the foods and make sure some dishes are OK for me to eat. 

Make them the potatoes, or buy already made and reheat. Same with pies and cakes. 

as for you - concetrate on meat and then some meat - turkey and ham..yummy.. 

Make a regular regular green beans dish - I use bacon and some cut red and yellow peppers for color... salt and pepper... maybe some garlic...

And to not feel deprived - make some SF dessert for you - individual ones .. while they eat the dessert -you eat your cake and feel ok. 

In some situations I bring a power crunch bar with me - it is nice - and sweet and it is a dessert for me..

But - most of the time - I just get a second and third helping of turkey or ham..., serving of salad (small) and a couple of bites of my green beans..  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

radze09
on 11/17/15 1:22 pm
RNY on 06/08/15

Thanks guys!! I appreciate the thoughts! I will make it work come hell or high water :) Holidays are not going to be my downfall! I only have 20 lbs till I reach my 125 goal weight!

NYMom222
on 11/18/15 11:25 am
RNY on 07/23/14

If you like mashed cauliflower- make it! Make mashed potatoes too for the others. Do it ahead and reheat... microwave, and whip in extra liquid or butter... pick one veggie you like and make it. How much are you going to have? Turkey, gravy, a 1/2 c of mashed cauliflower and 1/4c of a vegetable. Maybe? Don't fret. I would worry more about the pre-snacks and the dessert. Pumpkin pie is easy to make sugar free, and you can easily skip eating the crust even if it is there for everyone else. I have had good luck with Swerve brand as a substitute in baking. Cheesecakes, although not thanksgiving traditional are easy to make sugar free. Or Apple crisp, eat the apples, skip the crisp.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 326 views