Long Termer

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 11/18/15 12:06 pm - Belleville, IL

We all want to be "skinny" and Healthy, please be aware that when your doctor says complications can happen they CAN happen. 

First, I would do this surgery again if I had too. I have NO REGRETS about my RNY.

Now the bad news. Many people who have RNY either regain weight or have other problems. This has happened to me. Sadly I am in Terminal Liver failure. I am not a candidate for liver replacement.  I have Hepatic Encephalitis, severe malnutrition (I am just bones) and my gallbladder "died" (went necrotic) A year after my surgery  the doctors have diagnosed me with autoimmune hepatitis....  My liver no longer works, and I often have seizures and Alzheimer/dementia from all the toxins/ammonia built up in my blood stream.

Because I am an RNY paitient (Had my surgery June 29 1010) of course I can have NO Tylenol or NSAIDS.  I used to go o the gym and horseback riding post surgery but can no longer do that as I have broken bones. I have a tibial plateau fracture (Knee) I fell and dislocated my RT shoulder and broke it in 3 places. 3 months ago I had a grand Mal seizure and broke my left collar bone.

I am NOT trying to scare anyone, but please know there are many complications that can happen with RNY surgery. Hypoglycemia being one of the most common. (Yep, I have that too...And low blood sugar with a messed up liver makes for someone who can appear drunk, drugged or demented.) I am not any of those things. I am still me, logical and sane within my head but cannot get the words out without slurring or appearing "dumb". 

Each surgery (RNY, D&S, Lap Band, etc) can ALL have complications. I take my vitamins and calcium and vitamin D3 daily but still have osteoporosis. I am 5'3 and have a VERY hard time keeping weight on me (On a good day I will weigh 110 lbs on a bad day only 100)  I have no muscles anymore, I look like one of those starving people in another country.

Again, I am not  trying to talk ANYONE out of the surgery they want. But be aware when they say complications it can happen. I might have 2 weeks or 20 years it depends on my liver and kidneys. I have been in the hospital about 5 times now and have had every liver test known to mankind. (No I don't drink or do drugs) I am in between because protein puts a strain on the liver, but to much carbohydrates will put me in hypoglycemia.  Do your research and know that your surgery "might" be more than you bargained for.....

There is never anything "attractive" about some all skin and literally bones.

PS: The reason I said I would do the surgery again was that my PCP and Rheumatologist said I would be dead within 3 years without losing weight. Personally I think it was the gallbladder that caused my current problems as it went necrotic and I had NO pain from it and no "normal" symptoms.

To my friends on here I haven't chatted to in years, now you know why. It is very hard to type on occasion and make logical sense.  If anyone ever wants to know what HE (Hepatic Encephalitis) is, there is a wonderful video on YouTube called "Wrestling the Monster" >https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&c d=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QtwIwAGoVChMIqfHswuKayQIVSxUeCh02 xQOX&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNQBXlrb 8Xmk&usg=AFQjCNFqP6e1miGIwi0QfRk-EEQRN7DJXg&sig2=37r2Vg2I9od apnaUiOqBdA&bvm=bv.107763241,d.dmo

Warmly and with love,

Jackie

Lisa09
on 11/18/15 12:11 pm - NH

Sending healing prayers & peaceful wishes to you.

HW: 280 SW: 270. CW: 190. Goal: 140

Lap Band: 10/2007 Insurance Approval: 10/19/15 Revision to RNY: 11/2/15

Preop -10 M1 -26  M2 -19  M3 -10  M4 -11  M5 -3  M5  -4  M6 .. Too tired to do the math, but slow

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/15 12:45 pm

I personally appreciate you having the courage and bravery to post this.  Down the road, we don't know what will happen and we have to think long-term and not fall for the thoughts of being skinny in being our main consideration for this surgery.  I wish you the best, God bless you and please keep posting.  

peachpie
on 11/18/15 1:03 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'm sorry sorry for all the new health complications the surgery brought to you. I appreciate you sharing and making people aware of the 'atypical (IE- something other than a leak) complications that can occur farther out. 

I also am glad you can still appreciate what the surgery did do for your life. Prayers that somehow your health will improve.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

selhard
on 11/19/15 4:28 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Thank you for your words hard as it must have been for you.  No worries, you didn't come across as trying to scare people out of WLS.  Instead, you shared valuable information what can happen.  Cheering your kidneys and liver on for those 20 years!

powelllinda38
on 11/19/15 9:26 am

sending you prayers love with peace and blessing. thanks for sharing so we can be aware of what may happen 

sweetpotato1959
on 11/20/15 4:18 pm

Jackie,

I am also 20 years post op and have health challengesthat are attributed to my WLS as well. But I am with you, Yes I would do it again! 

I have some hypoglycemicreactions, calcium loss, Iron malabsorbtion issues and have had two twists...so know first hand.Complications will occur at some point.I don't think I would be able to take care of myself if I had not had surgery...I certainly would not have beena ble to care for sick parents for two years..

..I had a friend with liver failure, and his Endochrinologist gave him Milk thistle to take, He took it religously, and It extended his life greatly...like two years...

Thank you for posting, I know it was hard. Having the knowledge before surgery can help others to be aware of complications decades away.

Denise
Kathy S.
on 11/24/15 1:06 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Jackie,

I remember  you and you were such a valued member of OH.  My heart goes out to you and your loved ones for all you are going through.  Please know we are thinking of you and keep us updated on how you are doing.

Take care,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Tammy C.
on 12/2/15 8:02 am

Jackie,

Thank you for sharing your truth. I was very so to learn of all you have been going through.  Please know that you are in our hearts and prayers.  I wish for you healing and happiness.

Tammy

All my best, 

Tammy Colter
Director of Media & PR
Editor-In-Chief
ObesityHelp.com
OH Magazine
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views