Scared to eat

KWray615
on 11/29/15 9:13 pm
RNY on 11/16/15

hey! I am new to this site and 2 weeks post op from the RNY surgery. I start puréed foods tomorrow and I am pretty nervous! I have an irrational fear of throwing up so I am scared to eat or try anything new! Anyone else feel this way? I got super sick in the hospital after my surgery after drinking beef broth which made me even more nervous. I guess my question is, if I try a new food, typically how long does it take to know if you can't tolerate it? When I have tried a new chicken broth, soup, or shake I take a sip then wait like 15 minutes....I haven't gotten sick on anything since the hospital so that's good!

selhard
on 11/30/15 3:14 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Welcome to a great source of support for learning and adapting to your post-op lifestyle.  Fear of eating, fear of regain, and fear of failure are part of the post-op package but the fear factor should be a healthy dose---not too little and not too much.  BALANCE.  My experience with how long it took to know if a food wasn't tolerated?  It was sugars in fruit that made me sick within a couple of minutes (like grapes and watermelon). Then there are times when foods are tolerated well one day, and not tolerated well another day.  Examples would be eggs and meat within 2-5 minutes time.

rondadls
on 11/30/15 3:56 am

I agree with having a healthy dose of fear but don't be ruled by it. For me I knew almost immediately. My suggestion is to try one or two very small bites and wait a few minutes. Usually you will know within just a few minutes.

Leah P.
on 11/30/15 4:22 am
with

I'm so glad you.posted this! I'm one week post op and feeling the same as you. I'm scared of getting sick. I haven't yet thank goodness, not even in the hospital but the fear is there. I'm scared of over filling my pouch too so I eat very small amounts, probably not nearly enough. II hate this process! I wish I was further along lol. I'm looking forward to seeing the replies. 

RNY: 11/23/2015

HW:284  SW:280  

"I may not be there yet, but, I'm closer today than I was yesterday."

KWray615
on 11/30/15 11:35 am
RNY on 11/16/15

Oh glad to hear it!!! I have to say my first week post op was way worse (fear wise) than the second week. I tried cream of wheat today for the first time since I am 2 weeks out and on the puréed phase and it's been fine so far! Hope you continue to have good results!!

catwoman7
on 11/30/15 7:26 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I had two strictures early out, so I threw up a lot during those times.  I can't speak on behalf of everyone, of course, but I found vomiting not nearly as bad as it was pre-surgery.  First of all, there's never much because your stomach is so small, and secondly, you don't have much stomach acid, so there's not that horrible taste, either.  This is not to say it was pleasant, but it's much more tolerable than it is pre-surgery.  Or at least it was for me.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

KWray615
on 11/30/15 11:36 am
RNY on 11/16/15

Good to know!!! Thanks!!

Leah P.
on 11/30/15 11:50 am
with

I'm one week post op and had my first puking experience today. My mother in law took me out to eat for the first time after she took me to the Dr. My Dr graduated me to fork mashable food so we got scrambled eggs and potatoes and biscuits. I ate a couple bites of eggs and took A small bite of the biscuit... BAD IDEA! I got a clog from the bread and had to go puke it up. It wasn't as horrible of an experience as I anticipated. I got it up and was able to go finish eating. I think I just needed to get the first puking experience out of the way to realize its not as horrible and scary as I thought. 

ladygodiva1228
on 12/2/15 7:03 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On November 30, 2015 at 7:50 PM Pacific Time, Lmparker84 wrote:

I'm one week post op and had my first puking experience today. My mother in law took me out to eat for the first time after she took me to the Dr. My Dr graduated me to fork mashable food so we got scrambled eggs and potatoes and biscuits. I ate a couple bites of eggs and took A small bite of the biscuit... BAD IDEA! I got a clog from the bread and had to go puke it up. It wasn't as horrible of an experience as I anticipated. I got it up and was able to go finish eating. I think I just needed to get the first puking experience out of the way to realize its not as horrible and scary as I thought. 

Why at a week out are you eating potatoes and biscuits?  Did you measure how much you ate?  You do know that you have no feelings of fullness due to the nerves being cut during surgery right? 

If you over eat so newly out of surgery you risk rupturing your staples to your little pouch and then you will wish you didn't "get the first puking experience out of the way" as you go back in for emergency surgery. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Leah P.
on 12/2/15 7:49 am
with

Oh trust me, I wasn't pigging out. I Ate some scrambled eggs and my mother in law ate the rest but I daringly tried a small bite of a biscuit which was a bad idea. I do measure everything now. At first I wasn't measuring and realized I needed to so now I do and it is going much better. No clogs since. ? lesson learned that bread is a BAD idea! Lol. I'm just glad I'm not scared anymore. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 424 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 216 views