Can someone tell me more about strictures?

nininn
on 12/7/15 7:08 am - RI
RNY on 11/02/15

I posted the other day about being full with meds for a long time.  I take a LOT of pills and space them out.  Well last night after dinner I got sick and vomited and felt full all night like something is stuck.  Today I woke up and feel like I still have something stuck in my stomach.

I am afraid I may have a stricture or my stomach can't handle all the meds I take.  I am trying to get fluids in to try to "move" whatever is sitting there...I feel horrible and afraid to eat anything.  Even fluids I have to sip slowly.

Anyone else have this or know if this is just from vomiting last night or if it could be a stricture>

Thanks

"slow and steady wins the race..."

Maria27
on 12/7/15 8:14 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I struggled with pills a lot. I had chicken get stuck once, but all of my other stuck episodes were from pills. I had to cut those suckers into tiny pieces for the first few months after surgery. I also learned that it helps to drink a hot beverage like coffee or tea before taking them, and to wait until afternoon because my restriction is the most severe in the mornings. I still take chewable calcium and one multivitamin as chewable because large pills bug me so much. My understanding is that it is not a stricture unless you can't keep anything down, including water. You could still be experiencing irritation from last night. As long as you can continue to drink it is probably not a stricture. Sometimes you just have to spend a day drinking protein shakes in order to allow the irritation to get better. Maybe you can cut back on some of the pills that are not essential just for today. For me, it was always the b-complex that was a problem and sometimes zinc. But if it doesn't get better, call your surgeon, and if you can't even keep liquids down, go to the emergency room.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

nininn
on 12/7/15 8:56 am - RI
RNY on 11/02/15

Thank you so much!!  Pills are killing me.   I did put a call in because it was worrying me.  I am going to drink hot tea today an do shakes for a few days.  It feels so horrible and I just want whatever is stuck to go down!! 

White Dove
on 12/7/15 10:09 am - Warren, OH

My doctor just prescribed me a muscle relaxer to take before I eat. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 12/7/15 2:43 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

actually, you can still drink with a stricture.  At the point it gets so bad that you *can't* drink, then you need to get in ASAP.  But it took about two weeks for my stricture to come on - first, it was an acid reflux feeling plus some nausea after eating, then a few days later I'd vomit occasionally after eating, and finally, I couldn't keep food down at all.  But I was still able to keep fluids down up 'til my appt.  They told me if it got to the point I couldn't keep fluids down, then screw the appt and just come in right away.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

nininn
on 12/7/15 7:19 pm - RI
RNY on 11/02/15

My surgeons office called me and they are sending me for a EGD tomorrow morning.  She said that with me having pills being stuck and making me full for hours for weeks now and now the vomiting and something stuck in my esophagus/pouch she said it most likely is a stricture.  It builds up as you heal.   She told me too that liquids can go down but nothing solid.Did you get it fixed yet?  Do they do it while they are doing the EGD?    Thank you so much!  I posted the other day about the pills and I was told there was no way I could be full for hours after taking them.   I was like..oh god what is wrong with me then??  Then all this happened and now it all makes sense. 

catwoman7
on 12/7/15 7:47 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I had two of them (about four weeks apart) and had them both fixed.   Yep - they'll do it during the EGD - just takes them a few extra minutes.   You won't feel a thing and you'll feel a million times better afterward - night and day difference!

nininn
on 12/8/15 10:55 am - RI
RNY on 11/02/15

Catwoman, It ends up I have an ulcer.  They mimic a stricture feeling like something is stuck.  Just had it done and I feel a little tight but that is until some of the inflammation goes down.  So now I do omeprazole 2 times a day and take it easy on things until it heals.  Though I did stop for a cup of coffee on the way home.  I don't drink a lot but have to have the one cup a day to get going and even with my new pouch I only get 1/2 cup down before it is cold and I don't want it anymore.   Thanks for your feedback and your support on this!!  Glad you had them fixed and feeling better!!!   =)

catwoman7
on 12/8/15 10:58 am
RNY on 06/03/15

OMG - I'm so glad you went in!!!   

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 315 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?