Gallbladder Question

Han Shot First
on 12/8/15 5:20 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

So on my regular labs, I got a call that said my liver enzymes were high and I had to go and see my family doctor to make sure it's not liver disease.  They were able to "squeeze me in" 3 weeks later, and when I saw her, she rolled her eyes and said, "Oh, it's just your Bilirubin levels!  I'm pretty sure I've noticed it before but it's no big deal.  I'm pretty sure you have Bilirubin disease, which just means your level goes up when you fast."  This was the middle of the afternoon, so she had me go and do bloodwork, and sure enough, the level was perfectly normal.  However, just to be safe, she sent me for a CTscan on my liver.

Well, the scan on the liver came back okay, but it did show that I had some gallstones.  Knowing that it's pretty common for people to have gallbladder issues after RNY, I asked her if we should take it out, and she said they usually don't for gallstones, but she'd send me to the surgeon (the same guy who did my RNY) and see what he says.

I don't have any pain from it, and from what others have told me, I would definitely know it if I did.  When I look at the symptoms, the only ones I have are excessive gas, occasional nausea, and for the last few days, my stools have been very light in color.  

My appointment is Thursday morning, so I'll get his opinion then, but I was wondering if any of you had any pretty mild symptoms that eventually required removal.  I definitely don't want to have an unnecessary procedure done, but especially after losing so much weight in a pretty short amount of time, if it's going to go bad, I'd rather have it out before I have any excruciating pain.

Thoughts?

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Grim_Traveller
on 12/8/15 6:03 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

What I read most often from people is that they can go for months or years before the doc takes it out. I don't know why they make yhem suffer through multiple attacks first, but they do.

Hopefully your surgeon won't make you wait, if you do need it removed.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 12/8/15 6:41 pm - Warren, OH

I have stones and asked to have my gallbladder removed during my RNY.  The surgeon said there was no reason to do that.  It was eight years in October and still have not had a gallbladder problem.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/8/15 7:46 pm

I had my gallbladder out two months after RnY. The attacks seemed to come on suddenly, but now I wonder if I didn't have mild symptoms for years and didn't notice.

I don't know if most insurances will approve the removal if your symptoms are mild. 

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/9/15 7:18 am

If taht was my option - I would keep it unless it needs to come out...

GB really have more functions than we give it credit for. For one - my severe constipation issues started after the GB was removed.  I get nausea if I eat too many fats ... 

Plus any surgery, even as easy as GB removal - have risks. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 12/9/15 11:52 am - Warren, OH

My RNY surgeon said that he was not going to remove a perfectly functioning organ on the chance that it might be a problem someday.

Removing the gallbladder can result in other issues.  Don't fix if it is not broken.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

chulbert
on 12/9/15 12:30 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Ask your surgeon about a medication called ursodiol.  My surgeon prescribes a six month course for all patients and it nearly eliminates the possibility of gall bladder issues.

Joemac9408
on 12/10/15 5:18 am - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

I had my gallbladder removed in september after ending up in the ER in severe pain.  My surgeon told that its common with WLS patients, he also told me a lot people have gallstones but never have symptoms.  I wouldn't have it removed unless you have symptoms and honestly he probably wont do the surgery until you have them.  

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

Han Shot First
on 12/10/15 5:07 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  I haven't been having the severe pain, but the main symptom has been feeling nausea.  I didn't think it was that often, but my wife told me that I complain almost daily about feeling sick after eating.  After talking with my surgeon today, we've decided to take it out.  I'll be having it removed December 23rd.  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Grim_Traveller
on 12/10/15 6:07 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Good luck Bill. Keep us posted. And merry christmas to you, I guess.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 112 views
Recent Topics