Hunger Returns

lking
on 12/12/15 4:57 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

Today I am 8 days out.  For the first time since surgery I was awakened this morning with the feeling of hunger.  Not just hunger but ravenous hunger.  As I laid in bed for a while the ravenous feeling diminished to just a normal feeling of hunger.  Is this about the normal number of days for the feeling of hunger to return?

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

TK1966
on 12/12/15 6:00 am - Canada
RNY on 11/17/15

I am 3.5 weeks out from RNY. I have not felt hunger yet. 

Is it possible you are dehydrated? That can give the sensation of hunger.

Referral made Sept 2014 / RNY @ TWH Nov 17, 2015 - Dr T Jackson

Height: 5' 10" | Born: 1966

Lost on 2 weeks Opti - 14.4

Post Surgery - M1 - 16.4| M2 - 16 | M3 - 16.2 | M4 - 10 | M5 - 10 | M6 - 6.2 | M7 - 6.2 | M8 - 1.6 | M9 - 3.6 | M10 - 2.4

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/15 6:05 am

Well you ate oatmeal the other day. Which is high in carbs. So that can trigger hunger. Also you could be having head hunger. You may also be just thirsty.

I would look into high protein foods that make you feel satisfied.

AnneGG
on 12/12/15 6:19 am

Everyone is individual. I had nausea for 4 months which definitely curbed my appetite. Hang in- it will get easier as you follow recommendations and figure out what works for you.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

White Dove
on 12/12/15 6:21 am - Warren, OH

I was eight years out in October.  I only experienced hunger once at about six months out.  I was advised that hunger was caused by eating carbs.  I had added some carbs and stopped eating those carbs and have never experienced hunger again.

My center's plan includes cream of wheat, rice, potatoes and cereal.  I followed the plan but did not eat those things.  I log all foods with My Fitness Pal.  For the first three years, the only carbs that I allowed myself were from protein shakes made with skim milk, non-starchy vegetables and strawberries or blueberries.

Not being hungry is the greatest gift that I had from this surgery.  It is the reason that I am maintaining after eight years. 

Are you on a pill to inhibit acid?  I was prescribed one for the first three months.  Acid can mimic hunger.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

lking
on 12/12/15 9:36 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

Rice, potatoes, and cereal?!  Wow!  Unbelievable!

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Maria27
on 12/12/15 7:26 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Years of dieting taught me that when you think you are hungry, you're not. The true signs of hunger are feeling light headed, weak, shaky, and like you might faint if you don't eat something. That is hunger. Everything else is just your body trying to sabotage you. Don't let it.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/15 8:05 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I was hungry again the second day post-op and didn't feel satiated again until I started soft foods. I was consuming about 10g of carbs a day at this point because I was living on protein shakes, so I know it's not because I'd upped carbs. Some people lose their hunger, but I definitely wasn't one of them.

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/15 9:00 am - CA

I experience hunger once in a great while (14 yrs post op) However, I experience hunger often when I eat carbs.  I also experience Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Hunger which is not when I am hungry, but its that time.  I try to stay busy and only eat when I am really hungry, especially now.  With you being this early post op, you need to eat regularly.  

I try to stick to proteins in many forms, eggs, hummus, lean white meats, grilled chickpeas, cottage cheese, etc. Over the years, I have found new ways to incorporate them into my meals, at any time during the day.   I would suggest this early out, you refrain from any and all carbs to help to maximize your weight loss and adapt to new, healthier choices.  I do eat veggies that have carbs, but not starchy ones.  As for fruits, I stick to any berry as they are the lowest in sugar.   

I love granola and have often wanted to make my own because the ones on the market are so high in sugar, but each time I start to do it, the carb count just stops me in my tracks.  Always try to find the healthier option.  It will help you to adapt to this new eating lifestyle and you will have a higher rate of long term success, by doing so.   

Best of luck to you! 

Nik

lking
on 12/12/15 9:27 am, edited 12/12/15 1:29 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

Thank you to everyone that has responded.  I will respond to your questions here...

1. The hunger pangs woke me from a dead sleep.  I did not want to cater to them so I laid in bed for a while, then I got up and went into the living room.  I wasn't about to give into the hunger monster.  Finally, 2 hours later I had my breakfast, my first "dose" of protein today.
  2. All indicators point to the hunger pangs not being from dehydration.  Yesterday, up until I went to bed, I drank 70 ozs. of water and my urine this morning was very pale yellow (normal).
  3. I don't think that the watery oatmeal I had 3 days prior would have an effect on my hunger this morning.  There wasn't any effect the 2 previous mornings, why would it affect me today?

I researched hunger in the OH archives.  So many different comments point to early hunger probably being acid reflux.  The solutions were to take PPI, chewable Pepcid.  

I've had acid reflex for many years, it never felt like this, but maybe this was the problem. Afterall, I think if what I had this morning was hunger it wouldn't have lessened or disappeared on its own.  I will pick up chewable Pepcid today.  To anyone responding to my hunger question this morning, I truly thank you!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 223 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?