Severe Knee Pain

cheapskate
on 12/15/15 6:16 am
RNY on 03/30/15

SInce losing weight I have been having severe knee pain. Can't sleep, wake you up kind of knee pain. Once I am up and moving all is well, but my sleep is severely disturbed. Sometimes I am in so much pain I cry myself to sleep. I never had any knee/joint pain before surgery.

Has anyone had this problem? Do I need to see a doctor? If I do, do I go to my PCP or my surgeon?

Thanks!

peachpie
on 12/15/15 6:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Yes you need to see a doctor. Yes your PCP, or an orthopedic doc if you can go straight to one w/o seeing your PCP. 

I seriously doubt this has anything to do with weight loss surgery; but depending on how far post op you are then it could be surgery related. I wouldn't make a special trip to the surgeon, but mention it at your next appointment.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

The Salty Hag
on 12/15/15 6:52 am
RNY on 05/20/13

This may seem like a strange question, so bear with me; do you feel like you have to constantly move your knee to find a comfortable position? Are you moving your legs every few seconds trying to find a "sweet spot" of sorts that doesn't cause you pain? You may just be having good old knee pain from your joints adjusting..I think it's happened to a few people on the boards, but if your pain is more along the lines of what might be similar to say, restless leg syndrome, you may need to bump up your iron dosage. For me, when my iron levels were low, I had pain in my left ( my good ) knee...and I would have to adjust, move, toss, turn, stretch, rub, my knee constantly until I was able to somehow fall asleep.

If that isn't the type of pain you are experiencing, do a search on the forums for post op knee pain...you should get some sort of results back.

And yes, see your PCP and see what's going on regardless. The pain needs to be addressed one way or another.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Patm
on 12/15/15 8:08 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

As you lose weight your centre of gravity seems to shift. You will start to walk a little differently since you no longer are carrying around the weight. See you regular doctor. Your joints may settle down

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/15/15 8:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you're in pain, especially "can't sleep" pain, you should talk to a doctor rather than random strangers on the Internet.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

cheapskate
on 12/15/15 8:35 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I wasn't asking for medical advice simply trying to navigate the nuances of what is bariatric related and what isn't. 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/16/15 6:03 am
VSG on 12/06/12

They have surgeons with fancy medical degrees that can help you navigate the nuances of what is bariatric-related much better than strangers on the internet can. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/15 8:49 am

I am soooo stealing this. My primary doctor was asking me all of these questions about what it's like, what happened, what do I eat. So even he didn't know much about it. I love how you apply the term "nuances". Cracked me up.

Mary Gee
on 12/15/15 3:10 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I'd call your PCP - sounds like Arthritis, especially if it resolves when you're up and moving.  I have Arthritis - wakes me up every night (back/hips/knees), and when I first get up from bed or from sitting for a period of time, I have pain - then it fades as I move about.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 550 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 534 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 333 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 132 views